Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Second Edition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave spencer

Dave spencer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:06 AM

Hello all

I,m new to this but I would like some HELP.I need to remove my current op system and load a new one.In other words I need to put my P.C back to the start with no operating system so I can load Windows ME.I,m running Windows 98 sec edition.I have the start up disc (98) and C.D for Windows ME.

How do I do this???

Thank You

Dave :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:45 PM

If your ME install disk is a bootable one, configure your PC to boot from CD and boot with the disk inserted; if it's not bootable, insert the Win98 disk and boot. Whatever disk you use to boot; choose the boot with CD enabled option; when everything is loaded, from command line, type "FORMAT C:", it'll ask for confirmation, and when finished, for a volume name. When format is done, change to your CD drive (usually E: or F:), change to the WIN9X folder, (CD WIN9X); and type "INSTALL". I think you'll be OK from here, if not, feel free to ask :thumbsup:

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:37 PM

Hello Dave spencer, and welcome to BC.
This is not difficult. First do you have the 25 digit code that accompanies the ME CD? Why are you not going with 98SE. It is considered by most to be superior to ME. With that said you can go to BootDisk.com and download the ME boot disk.
Once you have booted from the disk type in FORMAT C:\. You will receive a warning screen. Answer YES when it asks if you are sure.
When the FORMAT is complete you can install windows.
If you suspect a virus may still be o your drive download Active@KillDisk and wipe your drive. These will destroy all data (and virus') prior to FORMATing.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users