Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling XP Pro on Dell Netbook

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mattbirk

mattbirk

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

Ok, I have been trying to install Windows XP Pro on a Dell netbook, and I have even taken out the HD and formatted it first. I boot to the Windows XP CD via USB CD ROM drive and all works fine, I select format NTFS Quick, and it copies all its files. When it goes to reboot after the files are copied I get:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and device hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

Some things I have tried:
chkdsk /r
bootcfg
fixmbr
fixboot
two different external CD-ROMs
reset BIOS to default
Changed hard drive to ATA instead of AHCI (I think it's AHCI)

Any ideas? I am just trying to install a clean Win XP SP3, but failing...

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

What model Dell system?

Did Dell provide the disk you are trying to use? If so, are you following Dell instructions for reinstalling?

If you are trying to do a clean install with a MS Genuine XP CD...it's best to delete existing partitions first...then format/install from the CD.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

Just for the heck of it - just before it reboots try unplugging the cd drive

#4 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

Dell Latitude 2100.
It is not a Dell disk that they included. I did delete all existing partitions, so there was only one choice which is Unpartitioned , which is how I have always done installs. Some reason, I still continue to get the error.

Do you think I need the controller driver, when I load the XP disk should I hit F6 to load a driver? I looked here: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555 but don't see a fitting driver for it. Under SATA all I see is an EXE file, not drivers.

Thanks

#5 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Just for the heck of it - just before it reboots try unplugging the cd drive

Just tried it, same thing...good idea though, thanks

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Actually I've seen it work in similar situations, but never ran across it with a usb drive.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

<<It is not a Dell disk that they included.>>

Well...that leaves a lot of territory to be covered. What type of disk is it...legal/illegal...some disk from another OEM (e.g., HP, Lenovo, etc.)?

Did you run an appropriate diagnostic check of the hard drive? Chkdsk /r is not a hard drive diagnostic...such are available from the respective websites of the hard drive manufacturers.

<<Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk.>>

Microsoft Says...

Louis

#8 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:30 AM

It's a site license of XP Pro from Microsoft (no bloatware), it's legal, it's a machine at my work.

I was thinking maybe a driver for the SATA conrtoller that I would have to load via floppy. I have tried one, but it either wasn't the right one or is not the issue.

I am running the built in diagnostics on it now, we will see when it's finished...I guess I could just try another hard drive laying around just to see if that is the issue or not.

I had read that Microsoft support article, but that seems to only say if I got the error and XP was already installed and basically just quit booting. I'm supposed to edit the boot.ini file, but it does it as if the operating system is installed and booting. I didn't try Method 3, I thought that referred to the Error Message 3, which I am not getting.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep trying different things.

#9 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

Replaced the hard drive, same exact error. I don't see any drivers on the Dell Latitude 2100 drivers page that would be a controller I could load to a floppy and install...it has to be a driver issue I feel, since it does it to multiple hard drives...if only I had the disk that came with it!

I may have to check with Dell about replacement disks, or the correct driver, but I am pretty certain it is out of warranty for over the phone support...

#10 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

UPDATE: Ok, so I got it fixed by changing the SATA operation to ATA, which I did try, but I DID NOT try reinstalling XP after I changed it...

Problem solved!

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

Huh!!! Okay, well -- thanks for posting and let us know. Truth be told, I wouldn't have thought of suggesting that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users