Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

linux 11.10 - Desktop issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dayers11

dayers11

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

Ok - so Im an Ubuntu newbie - but I have an older laptop that I've installed 11.10 on to try out and liking it for the most part.

I am having trouble with a few things because they just don't work like windows now do they ?

My issue is with my desktop. I have the typical look with a launchbar on the left and in infobar across the top.

I would like to add some things but I haven't had any luck.

I'd like to add some things to the top bar like volume control - shut down - etc. but cant seem to edit this bar at all.

Also I would like a bar at the bottom that shows minimized windows - can I add that ?? Id also like a desktop button and maybe add a few folders to the launchbar.

I can't seem to do any of this - do I need a program?

I'd appreciate any advice.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Edited by dayers11, 11 January 2012 - 10:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 michael-m

michael-m

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

To add something to the launchbar, open the program/app that you want to use - it appears in the launchbar. Right click on the icon, and tick "keep in launchbar".

That's about all the help I can offer - new to Ubuntu myself.

Michael

#3 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

I've been a die hard Ubuntu user for years, but since the advent of 11.10, I've switched over to Mint. Ubuntu 11.10 shoves Unity 'down the throats' of users. The top panel is of no use, and I couldn't find a way to create a bottom panel, you have to do everything through the launch bar. If you are comfortable using terminal commands you can move the launch bar to the bottom of the screen at least. I'm watching to see if the newest version of Ubuntu, due out in April I believe, will offer the 'Gnome style' desktop again.

I'm not trying to discourage you - some folks like the 'dock thingy', but I just don't. Maybe some Ubuntu 11.10 users can offer some tips on using it.

#4 Chase_Wheeler

Chase_Wheeler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

I haven't used the new Ubuntu much but I have used the Unity GUI before 11.10. I used it on the Ubuntu Netbook Remix(UNR) and I liked it to a point. It saves on screen reelistate alot. But I much prefer Gnome for a desktop application. You should be able to use Gnome even with Unity installed, on my UNR I could change which GUI to use on the loggon screen. At the bottom there was a dropdown box that I could select which GUI to log in with, check there for it. If not you could probably install Gnome from the repository's.

#5 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,956 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

day you cant add a new tool bar but you can do this to put applications you like to use on you desktop.
navagate to computer/filesystem/usr/share/applications and use the option _COPY TO DESKTOP
this just puts a shortcut on you desktop
you can remove it by just deleting-if you do this you just delete the short cut and of course you can always add again
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#6 LadySapphira

LadySapphira

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

One thing you can do is download a classic interface. It's not officially supported but I've used it in the past. It can't run side by side with unity like the last version (you used to be able to choose one or the other via preferences I think) but in 11.10 you need to download/install the classic then reboot (and in future you have to log out then log back in to switch between unity and classic)

Problem is, this might not be available in the next version, and as I said it's not an official part of the system. You can find this on the ubuntu forums.

here are complete directions:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859961

edit: also, I'm running unity right now and I have a volume control on the top bar. I'm not sure how I installed it but I have that, a weather icon and mail too. I think, that unlike classic you have to add these things via software center rather than right click and edit the top panel. (not sure though)

Edited by LadySapphira, 16 January 2012 - 10:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users