Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing windows xp in parrallel with windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 msrrahul

msrrahul

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

hello guys,
i have hp g6 series laptop with i3 second generation processor and genuine windows 7 home basic on it, ram capacity 4 GB. but now i want to install windows xp also as another os without removing my genuine windows 7 home basic . i.e. i want to keep these two os in parallel so that when i have use of xp , i can use it.. and when i want to work on windows7 , i can start windows7 .
so if this is possible then please guide me the detailed instructions to install windows xp in parallel with windows 7 home basic in order to use either of os as per my requirement.

i appreciate your help.
thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

Hello msrrahul,

Since you already have Windows 7 installed, the easiest way to add Windows XP is to set up a virtual machine. That way, you can run one, the other, or both at the same time.

I have Windows 2000, XP Pro, and Vista Home Premium VMs setup on my Windows 7 Home Premium desktop. I'm not aware of any limitations with VMWare and Win 7 Home Basic.

What you will need:
The Free VMware Player 4.01 and a Windows XP disc with a valid key.

Follow this tutorial: Run Windows XP on Windows 7 with free VMware Player

Regards,
Brooks

#3 msrrahul

msrrahul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

thanks a lot for this..its great.. i was not hoping to do this before..

but are there any other alternatives also besides VMWare? if any then please let me know those alternatives also and with detailed instructions please..

thank you

#4 msrrahul

msrrahul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:05 AM

running both of the os at the same time is really good. but i want to use either of xp or windows7 one at a time.. if its not possible then VMWare is the only alternative left.. any advices?

#5 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:29 AM

Follow this guide from the section for Windows 7 installed first.
Dual boot Windows 7 and XP

Edited by mark1956, 13 January 2012 - 07:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users