Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blu Ray Drive disappears after putting computer to sleep

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Russell Vegh

Russell Vegh

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:54 AM

Hi,
My computer is running Windows 7 professional. It is a fresh install. I have a blu ray drive installed (LG BH12ls38) that works fine. However, when I put my computer to sleep and wake it back up, the drive is gone. When I go to device manager and try to scan for hardware changes it still doesn't recognize it. The only way to solve the problem is to shut down the computer. Restarting the computer doesn't help. If I restart, the computer stays on the motherboards screen for a longer period of time then it normally does (about 30 seconds). Also, it seems that this drive is affecting the computer when I shut it down. After having this problem of not being able to find the drive it seems my computer takes longer to shut down. I have installed all necessary updates for Windows and the driver is provided by Microsoft driver version - 6.1.7601.17514 and date is 6/21/2006. I called LG and they have not been able to find a solution. It seems they do not provide/have a driver and rely on microsoft's drivers. I also updated my BIOS to the newest version. I went to my local store and tried another LG drive which was older and not blu ray and it worked fine so it's not a motherboard or power issue. My computer is running in IDE mode. The reason I state that is because I saw some posts about people switching from IDE to AHCI mode to help similar problems to this. However, I talked to the technician at my local microcenter and he said this wouldn't be the issue. Sounds to me like firmware issue? Anyone know a way to solve this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

1) Does it recognize it when you insert a disc?

2) Have you tried replacing the drive with a replacement blu-ray drive?

3) One option, clearly, is not to use "sleep". While hibernation and sleep work perfectly for many, there are LOTS of folks who have various problems with one or the other (or both). Believe it or not, these functions were never 100% perfected by Microsoft (hard to do when you are dealing with all of the possible various hw & sw configurations). You can simply set the hd & display to power down after a defined period of inactivity. It should work just fine for you.

#3 Russell Vegh

Russell Vegh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

I ended up switching my computer to AHCI and it solved the problem instantly! I guess this was the solution after all. Thanks for the reply!

It wouldn't even open! There was not power.

Yes

#4 steveaggie

steveaggie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

I ended up switching my computer to AHCI and it solved the problem instantly! I guess this was the solution after all. Thanks for the reply!

It wouldn't even open! There was not power.

Yes

I'm having pretty much the same problem. I have the exact same LD Blu-Ray drive too. Did you have to reinstall windows after changing to AHCI?

Edited by steveaggie, 15 February 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#5 Russell Vegh

Russell Vegh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

There is a workaround without reinstalling windows but It gave me other issues. It's best to just reinstall windows. You can't switch to AHCI without either doing the workaround or reinstalling windows. If you simply change the setting on your BIOS then you will likely not be able to start windows. Hope that helps.

#6 steveaggie

steveaggie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

There is a workaround without reinstalling windows but It gave me other issues. It's best to just reinstall windows. You can't switch to AHCI without either doing the workaround or reinstalling windows. If you simply change the setting on your BIOS then you will likely not be able to start windows. Hope that helps.

Did that end up fixing your problem long term? I made the switch last night using the registry edits. I haven't noticed any problems yet. I'm just running XBMC on it so there's not a lot going on on that box. So far so good.

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

I would expect Russell's fix to be permanent.

Your workaround fix may run into issues whenever you add or change ANY hardware on the system. If you run into a problem in the future, please be sure to mention that you did this workaround. I've done several repairs where not knowing about this caused the repair to take a lot longer to troubleshoot. Once I knew, a solution became much easier to find :)

It's definitely not an isolated incident and I have been unable to determine if this problem comes from the drive, motherboard, BIOS code or the power supply. Something slowly seems to stop meeting the requirements for Blu-Ray over IDE (Blu-Ray naturally is more sensitive than a standard DVD drive).

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users