Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing oem windows 7 on a different computer?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 md92h

md92h

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:09 AM

Hi everyone. i have installed and activated windows 7 home pre on a laptop. i was wondering is it possible to install it on a different computer and activate it? i no longer want it on my laptop because it's x86 and i want to upgrade memory to 8 GB. so is there anyway i can use that windows on another computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dirk90

dirk90

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:08 AM

As far as I know that is not possible with a OEM version of windows, maybe if you properly delete it on the origional one first, but I would rather wait on some other insights on this topic before acting.

#3 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:00 AM

OEM licenses are non transferable. It is possible technically but it wouldn't be legal.

#4 md92h

md92h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

tanx. so OEM versions can't be transfered but how about original one's? because my brother has a retail copy and i was thinking maybe i can use his. he used it for more than 5 months and he wants to sell his computer but he doesn't want to give away the license.

Edited by md92h, 11 January 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#5 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

Yes, retail copies can be transfered.

#6 md92h

md92h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

tanx everyone for the answers

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

tanx. so OEM versions can't be transfered but how about original one's? because my brother has a retail copy and i was thinking maybe i can use his. he used it for more than 5 months and he wants to sell his computer but he doesn't want to give away the license.

Keep in mind that legally he must remove the Windows from the computer he sells if he doesn't want to supply the License (product Key) and disk with the computer when he sells it.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

Just a note...the "OEM" version of Windows cannot be installed on anything else.

Win 7 is not like XP, where a "system builder/OEM version" existed, which could be uninstalled and then used on another system.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-exactly-does-windows-7-retail-vs-oem/fae7b2ab-c530-45e6-aeb3-cc55cf7b9231

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users