Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hangs On Bios Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BHRN

BHRN

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:51 AM

Always have difficulty starting my pc, only gets to the BIOS screen with the version No. and hangs there. It does start sometimes after a few minutes, it will also start after I reboot it a few times but it's getting to be very annoying to say the least. I removed the battery for a few minutes but that didn't make any difference, can someone please help.

Asus P5N32-SLI
Win XP PRO
2x1 GB OCZ Golds

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

I can try.

In BIOS what is your boot sequence, perhaps listed under "advanced settings"?

(usually three boot devices ... a first, second & third)

When it is successful at booting,
does windows message anything about "scanning due to improper shutdown'?

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

You say "always difficulty".
This a brand new PC thats never booted right?
"New to you" one that you've never seen boot right?
Been doing this how long?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

Here's a blurb on reseating a video card, do this to all your plug in cards and to the RAM sticks and see if that helps:

If you have a plug-in video card (aka Display/Graphics adaptor or GPU) then here is a step by step to reseat it:
  • Shutdown and switch off but do not remove the power cord.
  • Take off the cover.
  • Hold on to a metal part of the case now and as often as you can during the entire process.
  • Pull out the power cord.
  • Undo the screw holding the video card in place and unplug any cables going to the card.
  • Unplug the card by pulling firmly upward. There may be a latch at the back of the card, press down on this to help eject it.
  • If there is a lot of dust around use a can of compressed air to blow out the card slot.
  • If the edge connectors of the card look tarnished clean them lightly with a pencil erasor.
  • Firmly plug the card back in and secure it with the screw.
  • Put the case cover back on.
  • Check in the end of the monitor cable that there are no broken or bent pins (some pins are missing - that is normal).
  • Connect the monitor cable, turn the securing screws finger tight only, reconnect the power cable, switch the monitor on and reboot.

Edited by Rimmer, 10 February 2006 - 07:05 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 BHRN

BHRN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:35 PM

Hi phawgg,

Boot seq. Floppy - CD - HDD. No Windows message.

Had this PC from new last Nov. worked with no problems until about 3 weeks ago when this started.

Hi Rimmer,

Will reseat the vid card when I get a few minutes tomorrow and let you know.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:10 PM

Did you add any hardware or software just before the problem started?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:54 PM

Try one of these free, floppy-based memory testers:

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

Run for at least 2 hours (overnight is best) - any errors means bad RAM, and you can stop the test then.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users