Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't log on to windows at all. Don't know what to do.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sam_man

sam_man

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

Ok so my computer is stuck on a loop and messed up (I'm on a diffrent computer right now). So what happens is every time I try to boot up the computer instead of picking a user I get this error pop up "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now" "Yes" and "No" are clickable Heres what happens from there...

When I click:
"No" It just shows me my background for a few seconds and takes me back to the begging...

When I click:
"Yes" Cmd comes up with an error on a seperate pop up from cmd
"C:\Windows\system32\msoobe.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0dec IP:0103 OP:ff ec e6 dd ff Choose 'Close' to terminate the application"
If i choose close It takes me right back to the begging... If I Choose 'Ignore' It just changes the 'IP:0103' to something a little bit diffrent. If I keep pressing ignore it will eventually take me right back to the begging...

This is a 100% legit copy of windows and I have not encountered this problem before. I can run the computer in safe mode but I can't see the start bar. But I can open things via ALT + CTRL + DELETE > File > Run > Browse...

I would really appreciate any help thank you, Sam.

Edited by sam_man, 10 January 2012 - 10:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:44 AM

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=repair%20install%20of%20xp&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDYQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geekstogo.com%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2F138-how-to-repair-windows-xp%2F&ei=NyANT_6aAe-aiQea8qT9BQ&usg=AFQjCNE5_HE5cvQmC6wllOcZUcOCyPmeWA
Hi Sam -
This almost sounds like you need to do a Repair Reinstall as described in the link above.
There are times that you must backup and save all installed programs, and "bite the bullet"

Remember that XP is over 10 years old and can become corrupted at times, so we all reinstall or Repair Install -
This is just from the quick post that you have left, but there may be other options put up by others -

Thank You -

#3 sam_man

sam_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

Thanks for the reply I guess I'll wait to see if I get any other ideas if I don't I guess I'll give this a try. Just one question

There are times that you must backup and save all installed programs, and "bite the bullet"

Do you mean just backup the stuff just to be safe or will it delete my stuff because on the link it said it wont.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:44 AM

Hi Sam -
It is always a good idea to back up your sysyem prior to any procedure, just to be safe -
The article is reasonably well detailed and should give you most of the details requored.

I tend to go as far as removing important pictures and exotic music that is very hard to replace onto CD and DVDs.
You can never be too safe when doing any "major procedure" -

Thank You -

#5 sam_man

sam_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

One problem I'm not sure if I have my Windows XP CD anymore =/ I can try digging through stuff to find it but I'm not really sure that I have it. Are there any alternatives if I can't find it?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

These activation issues...happen to many, including me.

Simplest thing to do is do telephonic activation, if that is the problem. Once that loop starts where you are locked out, that's pretty much the best/quickest alternative.

Louis

#7 sam_man

sam_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

Called microsoft support which was pointless. He just tried to get me to do a system restore which I tried and for some reason once I pik the date to restore to and click next nothing happens. He also tried to help me edit some registry which was missing from the computer. He basically just told me my only option is to upgrade to windows 7 if I can't find the dumb CD with my windows xp code. Can anyone think of something this guy didn't?

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

Maybe this will help?SFC /SCANNOW.
It would be ideal if you could "borrow" XP install media.

#9 sam_man

sam_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

Well i'll give it a try... But chkdsk /r didnt find anything wrong. Would there be any way to do a repair install without the cd? all i have is the product key for windows xp no cd.

#10 sam_man

sam_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

"windows file protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006ba [the RPC server is unavailable]."

#11 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

Try the registry fix detailed at the bottom of the page, this should cure the problem with SFC.
SFC reg fix

#12 sam_man

sam_man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

Try the registry fix detailed at the bottom of the page, this should cure the problem with SFC.
SFC reg fix

I'll give this a try and respond back. Thanks for your reply =).

Edited by sam_man, 15 January 2012 - 08:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users