Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix Slow

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Graham Johnson

Graham Johnson

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Please could someone address this issue.

I have used ComboFix many times before and it normaly runs very fast but with the latest updated versions its taking forever eg 30 minutes or more.

It's still the best malware removal software out there, please keep up with the good work.

Edited by Graham Johnson, 10 January 2012 - 08:48 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alexander Caldwell

Alexander Caldwell

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

I'm not an expert on this subject but maybe you have programs running in the background? ComboFix is a major resource hog, check to make sure you do not have any programs in the background. Are you running ComboFix on your own without supervision from someone trained in using the tool? Have you made ay changes to your computer recently, such as installing new programs etc.? Try defragmenting your computer to see if that helps. I recommend MyDefrag to defragment your computer(Make sure you run this program without any other programs running in the background). Or run a windows defragment from the control panel.

From BleepingComputer.com (ComboFix download page):
"Please note that running this program without supervision can cause your computer to not operate correctly. Therefore only run this program at the request of an experienced helper."

Edit:

Here's the webpage for MyDefrag:

http://www.mydefrag.com/

Edit 2:

I did some reading up and ComboFix can take around an hour to run. If there are no other abnormalities i would not worry to much. Once again I am not trained with ComboFix so head my words with a grain of salt (I may be wrong).

Edited by Alexander Caldwell, 11 January 2012 - 08:21 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

In most cases ComboFix should not take more than 20 minutes to complete its routine if malware is detected. However, in some cases it could take longer depending on a variety of factors. If a system is badly infected, ComboFix may take more time to complete than it normally does or fail to run properly. There are also circumstances ComboFix will hang, crash or stall at various stages due to malware interference, failure to disable other real-time protection tools or the presence of CD Emulators (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD, etc) so that it takes longer to run or may not complete successfully. While that is not normal behavior, it is not unusual.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users