Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My first build!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PcRc

PcRc

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hey guys, so this is my first build. I'm 14 years old and decided to try building a computer. Now, I have rebuilt computers before and work with computers basically all day. My main area of expertise (should you say) is diagnostics and virus removal, so I decided to try something that I rarely do and work with hardware.

So I have parts laying around all over the place, from replacing parts or upgrading them. I noticed that I started to 'hoard' a lot of parts and have not much use of them but to either throw them out or do something with them... so I decided to use most of the parts to build a PC of my own so I can do research, school work and basic video editing.

My school had a computer with a fried motherboard and asked me to try to fix it. I knew that the motherboard was a critical piece of hardware in a computer and just said I could take out the hard drive and backup all important documents and such. Doing that, I kept the 80gb hard drive and the power supply before they tossed it in the dumpster.

So now I have a 80gb Western Digital HDD and a 250watt PSU.

Going home later that day I gathered the parts I had and needed to build a complete computer.

• 80gb + 10gb western digital hard drive
  • 250watt PSU
  • Asus K8V-MX motherboard
  • AMD Athlon x2 64
  • Optical CD/DVD Drive
  • Microsoft mouse and keyboard
  • 1gb ram

All I needed was a case, monitor and a OS.

So today I went to Canadacomputers.com (being a local retailer for parts) and picked out a iCan A2012 mid tower gaming case and 1 red LED 120mm fan, and a red LED 200mm side fan, Linux Fedora (temporary OS until I upgrade the motherboard and CPU) and a Asus VE228H monitor (will only buy if I cannot find a monitor for free).

So I will pick up the case tomorrow and start to pull everything together and test out how I did. Then, once my paycheck comes in I can start to put some money towards a CPU, motherboard, and ram.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
PcRc.

Edit: Chances are, I will find some more hard drives and JBOD to bound them all up into 1.

Edited by PcRc, 10 January 2012 - 08:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chase_Wheeler

Chase_Wheeler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

Hey there! That board appears to support the CPU you have but without exact numbers I can't say for sure, also the board has onboard video so you won't need a graphics card, but it would help with video performance. The board also appears to support both Sata and IDE you can find the spec sheet here. I would make sure that you have enough Sata and IDE ports/cords with multiple connectors for all of your devices. The power supply unit is has a fairly small output so that may be an issue if you add more components (like a graphics card or extra hard drives.) The board supports Raid 0 and 1, and JBOD. Your edit at the bottom is slightly concerning. If I am understanding you right you want JBOD to show up all as one disk, JBOD(Just a bunch of disks) actually will show all disks independently, so if you have 3 disks in there set up with JBOD then it will show as 3 disks. I don't know about the Raid controller on that board but in some of the older motherboards/controllers for raid to work they all had to be the same size. Other than that everything looks good as far as I can tell. Wikipedia and google make for great companions if you need to research anything further or you could PM me if you have any problems. Best of luck!

Edited by Chase_Wheeler, 12 January 2012 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users