Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Vista

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kingarthur2

kingarthur2

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

My Dell Inspiron 531s is about 2-3 years old and has really slowed down and I'd like to reinstall it. I use ccleaner and malawarebytes and defrag and this doesn't really speed it up. Need a fresh start. What do I need to do this? I've done this on two other computers in the past but want to make sure I do it correctly. I have a 1.5 TB external harddrive so I would need to back up. Thanks

Edited by kingarthur2, 10 January 2012 - 08:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:18 AM

You seem to know as just after backing up all files and then look for the recovery partition or do a factory restore for a fresh OS.

Tekken

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:47 AM

Hello kingarthur2,

To elaborate on what jhayz said:

• Backup any important documents, photos, music onto your external drive.
  • Download your system's owner manual - 212 pages (pdf) from here.
  • Arrow down to page 95 : Using Dell PC Restore and Dell Factory Image Restore
  • Skip down to page 96: Windows Vista: Dell Factory Image Restore and follow the steps listed.
  • Note: All data on the hard drive will be deleted with this method.
  • After the recovery finishes, immediately update your antivirus software then download all Microsoft Vista updates including SP2 and beyond.
  • Update Java, Flash Player, Acrobat Reader, QuickTime Player, and Internet Explorer to their latest versions.
  • Avoid randomly surfing the web until all updates have completed.

Good Luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 kingarthur2

kingarthur2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

Thank you. Did it and now installing virus, microsoft office, etc...lets see if it works better...I know it will!

#5 kingarthur2

kingarthur2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

Ok. Computer is running faster but one problem that was happening before I reinstalled was when I restarted, it would never make it to the Dell screen. It would beep, beep twice and keep doing this, never booting up. I would hold down the power button and it would turn off. Do this a few times and it would eventually start up. Then, after running for a few minutes, it would freeze. Today after installing the new vista updates, when it went to reboot one time, it did it again. I again held down the power button. Then started it up again and its been running fine for about an hour here. Any suggestions would could cause a boot issue, even after I've reinstalled? Thanks! Also, I can never get back to my post on bleeping computer without having to go back to my email THEN clicking on my link. Is there a spot where I can go to my post after logging on? Thanks

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:18 PM

Beep codes for the Inspiron series here : http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/trouble.htm
Run diagnostic utility for the memory stick or remove one stick as documented for the 2 beep codes.

Tekken

#7 kingarthur2

kingarthur2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

I removed all 4 memory sticks and put 1 in at a time and the computer is running fine (just not as quick since only 1 GB of ram installed instead of 4). It boots up now and doesn't beep twice like it used to nor does it freeze after it boots up. Could someone tell me where I can run a memory diagnostic test on the memory and cpu? Would I need to put all 4 sticks back in or do the test with only 1 stick at a time. Currently, I've got 1 stick in there for a day to see if 1 triggers the issue. Thanks

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

If you wanted a more strenuos test, you could test one memory module at a time, following the procedure below.

Go to Memtest86+ and download the "precompiled Iso" file here.

• Unzip the file and burn the iso file to CD. (See how to:)
  • Make sure your computer is set to boot from CD/DVD drive first. (See how to:)
  • Boot the computer with Memtest86+ CD.
  • The program will auto start. Allow it to run through at least 7 "passes" (over night would be better) or until it registers any errors.
  • The test can be stopped as soon as an error is reported.
  • To isolate the problem module should you have more than one memory chip, test each chip, one at a time, in the slot closest to the CPU.
  • If a memory chip tests bad, then retest that chip in a different memory slot.
  • Remember, any errors can mean a bad memory stick or bad memory slot on the motherboard.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users