Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard ps2 to usb not recognised

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 silverxx12

silverxx12

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi there,

I am trying to use my microsoft keyboard which has a ps2 connection on my dell computer which only contains usb slots.

I purchased ps2 to usb adapter so that it will fit into my usb slot, but the keyboard is non functional.(it worked fine with older pc's when ps2 was the slot everyone used)

My computer is up to date in terms of microsoft updates and i am running xp home with sp3

Can anyone suggest a fix for this i have done extensive googling but have not found any help as yet

Regards

Silver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

Please list the Dell Model, and if any Hardware changes have been made from standard (that you know of)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

What adapter, please?

Are you saying that the system boots into Windows...and the mouse works but the keyboard does not?

Does Device Manager reflect the keyboard as installed?

IME...if the keyboard is not recognized, then the system won't boot into Windows.

Louis

#4 silverxx12

silverxx12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Really sorry guys,

I was under the impression i would get an email once you replied and was waiting on that had i known - would have replied sooner.

Not trying to sell the adapter- but this is a nice pic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-MALE-PS2-MOUSE-KEYBOARD-CONVERTER-ADAPTER-/280447713633#ht_1771wt_1092

system boots fine but no lights come on on the keyboard

not too sure of the other stuff you asked - sry

wrt to the specs its intel core 2 6600 @2.4ghz 3gb ram dimension

Have had it reformatted and xp re run on it after a nasty virus

Regards

Silver

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

Have you checked for any BIOS option to enable USB/PS2 or legacy support? How about a direct USB keyboard on the same port? It must be a compatibility issue on the adapter to keyboard or operating system itself as they are locked to a same manufacturing device.

Tekken

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:47 AM

Hi and Welcome to BleepingComputer,

If the system boots then the keyboard is being recognized.

I know you said that no lights come on on the keyboard, but does that mean that you cannot type with it?

My keyboard does not have any lights on it.

If it truly is not working, I would suggest trying the keyboard on another computer to make sure it works, if it does, then I would try plugging something else into the adapter and/or usb port to make sure those are working.

Btw, in order to get an email notification when replies are made, you have to click on "Watch Topic" at the top of the page and then choose how you want to be notified.

Edited by Stang777, 13 January 2012 - 01:51 AM.

#7 silverxx12

silverxx12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:57 AM

Hi,

usb port is wrking as i have connected other devices albeit "complete usb devices" ie without the use of an adapter to them.

wrt to the keyboard - working fine on a ps2 connection nothing wrong there.

as far as my computer knowledge allows me to understand - i checked the bios and devices all seemed to be on.

the person i purchased the adapter from suggested i may need a ps2 to usb "converter" - as apposed to just an adapter - but i was a bit taken there as what is the use of an adapter which doesnt convert ?

thnx for the help

silver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users