Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Newbie with ?'s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ziva

Ziva

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hi,

I just got a new laptop pc with windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I'm making the jump from Windows XP to 7 and have a lot of, probably, dumb questions.

I know I have to make a recovery cd. Should I do it before or after I remove a lot of unwanted bloatware that came with the new PC?

How can I tell if I have service pack 1 installed? If not, where can I go to download it? Or should I?

The new laptop is a HP brand desktop replacement with a 17.3 screen. My old one has a 15.4. I'm having trouble adjusting to the wider screen. Also having problems adjusting it to where I can read text clearly. I tried the true-text settings, and the dpi but the text still looks too small and fuzzy. Can anyone advise me on how to fix this?

What happened to the Move, Copy, Delete menu that appears on the left hand side in Windows XP when you highlight a file or folder? How do you move files/folders from the PC to say a flashdrive or vice versa?

Thank you,

Ziva

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

It's perfectly fine to ask questions.

I know I have to make a recovery cd. Should I do it before or after I remove a lot of unwanted bloatware that came with the new PC?

As I understand it, a recovery CD simply allows you to access and restore the information contained on the recovery partition of your HDD. So feel free to make it now.

How can I tell if I have service pack 1 installed? If not, where can I go to download it? Or should I?

Click the Start Orb, right click Computer and select properties. In the box that comes up, look near the top where it says "Windows 7". If you have SP1 installed, it will say so there. If you don't have it, you can get it from Windows Update. Type 'windows update' into the start menu and it will show up.

The new laptop is a HP brand desktop replacement with a 17.3 screen. My old one has a 15.4. I'm having trouble adjusting to the wider screen. Also having problems adjusting it to where I can read text clearly. I tried the true-text settings, and the dpi but the text still looks too small and fuzzy. Can anyone advise me on how to fix this?

My first guess is that you need to update your video drivers. What is the model number of your laptop? Does it have a service tag? Post the number here if it does.

What happened to the Move, Copy, Delete menu that appears on the left hand side in Windows XP when you highlight a file or folder? How do you move files/folders from the PC to say a flashdrive or vice versa?

Right-click on the file or folder and check out the options there. You can easily send a file to a thumb drive in the Send To... submenu.

Edited by LucheLibre, 10 January 2012 - 08:25 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

Thank you, LucheLibre.

You've answers my questions. Should have known there would be a sub-menu. I using the older PC at present and don't have the service tag for the new handy. But I have been using HP's update link to get all the update's for the new PC. Didn't see anything about drivers. But will check again. Guess I need to play around with it and get used to it. No doubt I'll be back with some more questions.

Thanks again for your time,

Ziva

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

No problem, glad to help.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

There is a learning curve with Windows 7. Your questions are not dumb ones. I had plenty of questions when I first got a Windows 7 system.

One thing you can do is read the Windows 7 tutorials we have that are located here
List of Windows 7 Tutorials at BleepingComputer.com

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 January 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

The Help menus in Win 7...will also eliminate/cover a number of questions/situations that you may want to know about.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users