Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer turns off

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 helpme1

helpme1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:35 AM

can you help me im on windows xp home and my computer just turns it self off thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 06 November 2004 - 10:53 AM

We need a little more detail. Do you get an error message or does it shutdown or just go black? Most detail you can give the better.

#3 Sintrix

Sintrix

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:03 PM

Most of the time, you either have netbus, or your computer is overheating.. if its overclocked its most likely overheating.. though lately after installing SP2 my computer has restarted twice when playing battlefield 1942.. but hasnt for a while now that I think about it ;o

#4 helpme1

helpme1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2004 - 09:26 AM

i get no warning at all it just switches off. the light on my monitor stays on also the light on the keyboard. it does not seem to have a pattern but it has gone off a when i try to run virus scan :thumbsup: thanks

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:27 AM

Im leaning toward a hardware problem, but I want to eliminate software problems first.

Have you updated to SP2? If so, have you update the drivers, from the manufacturers, that say they are SP2 compliant?

You mentioned that there is no real pattern to when it turns itself off, but you also said that it has happened when you are running a virus scan. Have you tried to run the same program in Safe Mode, and it still turns off?

Have you opened up the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL), and watch it when it is turning off? If you have not done this, then run your virus scanner (in normal mode), minimize it, open up Task Manager, and watch the processes tab. Even though you may not have all of them on the screen, look very carefully to see if one pops up fast, before the computer turns off. If a file does come up, post the filename, and it is likely that is your problem.

Although it is unlikely, it is still possible that a virus is causing it to turn off. A Hi Jack This log may be in order.

Have you recently added more hardware such as an additional HD or CD/DVD-ROM?

If possible, try this step: Leave your computer off for at least 3 hours. Turn the computer back on, and while it is loading, feel the case(either on top or the side) near where the power plug is. DO NOT TOUCH THE BACK PANEL WHILE THE COMPUTER IS ON!! After it has been on for about an hour, feel the same spot again. It will be noticeably warmer, but still safe to touch. When your computer turns itself off, then touch the same spot again. If the third touch is alot warmer the the other one, the you could be having a heating problem. While you are touching the case see if you can notice if the fans are blowing. You do not have to actually look for them, as you will be able to tell the change in sound.

About how long have you had the computer? If you had it for longer then about 3 years, and you have not opened up the case to clean it out, then it is possible that you have some dust build-up in it. Try the other steps first, and then later today I will post on how you can fix this.

Hope it gives you a direction to look for your problem. I will be keeping an eye on this, and will respond later today.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 helpme1

helpme1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:03 AM

:flowers: im gonna try the virus scan it went of before when i tried to run it i will post back soon

jason i thank you for giving your time to help me :thumbsup:

#7 helpme1

helpme1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:44 PM

c:/documents and settings/mark/local... unwanted program prockill-jkill

this comes up then a bit later it turns off :thumbsup:

thanks

#8 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:50 PM

Click Here and scroll down to removal instructions.
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#9 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:56 PM

Good call Bear. :thumbsup:
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#10 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2004 - 08:20 PM

Thanks Jason
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#11 helpme1