Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless internet connection acting strange...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 zeppelin5000

zeppelin5000

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

Hello all,
I'm not at that familiar with computers so bare with me. I recently upgraded my internet package with my ISP to 30 mbps. They also installed a new DOCSIS 3.0 gateway. Overall, my connection is ok. It's always connected and pretty fast. Sometimes though it "hangs up" I might click a page and it takes a while to load. Much of the problem is also seen with streaming videos. They don't buffer as fast. Yes, you can say it may be a bandwidth issue, but I never had these issues with the lower internet speed package and older gateway. It always flowed smoothly regardless of the time of day. My computer is brand new. It's a Dell XPS 15Z. My girlfriend is also having similar issues and her computer is new as well. I'm thinking this is a wireless issue. When connected with the ethernet cable, it seems a little better.

Here's the strange thing....when I got to test my wireless connection speed on my computer on pretty much any speed test website, it acts really erratic...It might jump to 50 mbps download speed on one test with the upload speed never registering....It just keeps saying "connecting" and eventually the test might time-out. On another test,download speed might register at 6 mbps, and upload will show about 4, but the test never finishes....it just keeps going and going. Like I said, I get really erratic results from ANY speed test website while running wireless.

Wired though actually registers as it should. Here are a couple of videos I took from Speedtest.net.

This is Wired:

This is Wireless:

I'm just wondering is there is something with my network adapter or wireless settings that is out of whack? Something that wasn't set correctly by the tech that installed the gateway?? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

Perhaps you've already done this, but if not, I suggest first doing a simple network reset.

Turn off every computer on the network and unplug the cable modem/router. Wait 10 seconds and plug the modem/router back in. (Your post indicates they're one unit. If not, plug the modem in first, wait 30 seconds, then plug the router in.) Wait another full minute, and then turn on the computers. Retest and post what you find.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 zeppelin5000

zeppelin5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Perhaps you've already done this, but if not, I suggest first doing a simple network reset.

Turn off every computer on the network and unplug the cable modem/router. Wait 10 seconds and plug the modem/router back in. (Your post indicates they're one unit. If not, plug the modem in first, wait 30 seconds, then plug the router in.) Wait another full minute, and then turn on the computers. Retest and post what you find.

I've already tried this. My ISP also sent a signal to the gateway, but the issues are still there. Like I said, it's not a major issue...most people probably wouldn't even notice anything at all if they were using my internet. But, I know there's something differen't about it. And I think those erratic speed tests are showing some sort of crazy wireless issue...

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:37 PM

Do you live in a place where several wireless networks overlap yours?

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#5 zeppelin5000

zeppelin5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

Do you live in a place where several wireless networks overlap yours?

Do you mean different companies' wireless signals overlapping? We only have one cable company that provides internet service, Charter cable. I'm in a residential home too by the way.

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

No, I mean neighbors' wireless networks.

Edit: I guess 'residential home' means no on that one.

Edited by LucheLibre, 10 January 2012 - 09:52 PM.

~ LL ~

#7 zeppelin5000

zeppelin5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

No, I mean neighbors' wireless networks.

Ohh sorry lol, Like I said, I'm not too up on the tech talk. Well, I do see other people's wireless networks that I can "connect" to. Sometimes it can range from none to like four or so, all with pretty weak signals.

#8 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

In that case, download inSSIDer and use it to show what networks you can 'see' and what channel they are on. If you see the other networks using a channel that is the same or near to your own, adjust your router's settings to an unused channel away from the others. Test it out and report back any changes.

Edited by LucheLibre, 10 January 2012 - 09:56 PM.

~ LL ~

#9 zeppelin5000

zeppelin5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

In that case, download inSSIDer and use it to show what networks you can 'see' and what channel they are on. If you see the other networks using a channel that is the same or near to your own, adjust your router's settings to an unused channel away from the others. Test it out and report back any changes.

Ok, I'll have to try that. As far as adjusting my routers settings if the need arises, I'm not sure if I can do that...my ISP set it up and I don't know where to access things like that.

#10 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Look on the bottom of your router. Post the manufacturer and model. Also, it should give you the login address and default credentials. Usually it's something like 192.168.0.1, with credentials like root or admin.

~ LL ~

#11 zeppelin5000

zeppelin5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Look on the bottom of your router. Post the manufacturer and model. Also, it should give you the login address and default credentials. Usually it's something like 192.168.0.1, with credentials like root or admin.

I'm actually not at home right now, but this is the router I have:
http://charter-communications.com/blogs/internet/archive/2010/08/06/Netgear-Rangemax-WNDR3700-Dual-Band-Wireless_2D00_N-Gigabit-Router-.aspx

I'll take a look at the bottom of it though when I get home for the login info. Thanks a lot for all the help.

#12 zeppelin5000

zeppelin5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

Ok, just got home and downloaded inSSIDer. These are my results (I'm JoeTori by the way):

Posted Image

As you can see, a bunch of other networks are on the same channel as me....channel 11. Hmmmm.....Well, I'm currently logged into the settings for my router and I'm about to change to a different channel that most people aren't using. Lets see if it helps! I'll keep you informed.

#13 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

I suggest to pick the lowest channel you can.

~ LL ~

#14 zeppelin5000

zeppelin5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

I suggest to pick the lowest channel you can.

I picked Channel 2. Things seem to be running pretty smoothly, so that might have helped :-) As far as running those speed tests wirelessly, they still act really weird. The tests don't go thru like they should....really erratic. I'm not too worried about it because I know my my download and upload speeds are perfectly fine just based off of me using the internet. I can download and upload fast. When I look at the troubleshooting guides on Speedtest.net, it mentions that antivirus' can issues like I'm having with it. That might just be it. Oh well, thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it!

#15 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

Glad to help.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users