Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting ready for wireless network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stallion81

stallion81

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hello all, new to the board.

I'm not great with computers, but can manage. We just bought a new laptop for the wife's work, and I also wiped an ancient computer for my son(5) to use in his room. I'll give specs of all, and ask questions last.

Main comp will be current HP Slimline s5212y(windows 7home) which is connected to a Actiontec GT701D DSL modem(2line?)to 6.0 MPS AT&T DSL. Comp is currently wired with ethernet cable. It does not have a wireless lan 802.11 built in(I believe).

2nd comp will be the ASUS U46????(sorry never wrote down and haven't picked up yet/windows 7). Model has core i5, 6gb/640gb. This has wired 10/100 & wireless 802.11 built in, also Wimax and Wifi I believe. I'm just guessing this unit will be plug and play, if I plug the ethernet cable in from my modem?

3rd comp is a dinosaur. Gateway MFATXPNT ESX 500S P04. I just wiped it by reinstalling OS windows XP(original disc,comp was built 11/01)and burned sp2 and sp3 to a cd from the HP and downloaded it to it. Installed minimum drivers/apps so its pretty fresh. Plug and play to the internet via ethernet cable(with IE and Firefox), though I'm looking to get the best web browser for it. Has IE 6.02 I believe. I downloaded Firefox 9, got on but it had errors. So uninstalled it. Think I'm gonna try chrome on it. It has some upgrades, 2 GB ddr and a Maddog and Lightscribe cd/dvd inserts. I'm gonna play around with it more as I just had to fix the heatsink mount, and re arctic silver it to the motherboard, put in an extra fan, so should be good to go. This computer will be for online games only(kid games/sites).

So #1= Looking for a good wireless router or wireless router/dsl modem for AT&T. I prefer to just go router as I know I can get on through current modem.

#2= What do I need for the 2 desktops? USB wireless? And how and will they work? Card for the HP? I'm sure the Gateway is too old, but options?

#3= Is this all setup through home networking? Any advice or links?

#4= BTW I have an XBOX 360 with online account. I just plug a long ethernet cable to the modem and it hooks right up(obviously no using comp at same time). Options if you know...thanks.

Thanks for any help, I'm still an old school concrete guy =). My phone is older then the HP =).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

You may wanna ask your current AT&T DSL provider for a combo modem and wireless router available. For the desktops, depending on the location you can still go on wired and or a USB wireless adapter. Make sure to install the software driver for the adapters.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users