Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kolby

kolby

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

I've been having trouble with my computer for about the past month or so. At fist, the only problem was getting redirected while on the internet. I knew I needed to fix it but I didn't really have the time. Last week a program popped up (on my computer not the browser) that I had not installed and it was obvious that it shouldn't be there. Also, all my programs and files disappeared aside from what was on the dock. I turned the computer off and started it back up in safe mode. I ran a few things during the start to try and get it out of there. I ended up doing a system restore as well. As far as I know it is gone, and I have my programs back. Now the big problem. One of my hard drives says it is empty when I click on it. When I go to my computer it says that it little free space, the same amount it had before all the problems. I believe my files are still there, I just can't see them. I am really hoping I can get them back. I design merch for bands and everything I have ever done is on this hard drive. Hopefully someone can help me.

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2012 - 07:11 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

I suggest going to our "Am I infected? What do I do?"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

If this were my computer I would disconnect it from the Internet except when getting help.

This program will probably bring back your missing files. Make sure you do not run any temp file cleaning programs.
Unhide.exe - A introduction as to what this program does
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

However bringing them back into view does not mean your computer is virus free hence my suggestion above.

In the future my suggestion is keep any business in a separate work computer from the one used for browsing the internet and playing online. I myself have three I use. One financial only, one for Play and one for hobby work.
Second suggestion is to make at least one backup of the drive that has everything you've done on it.

Edited by rotor123, 10 January 2012 - 06:26 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 kolby

kolby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for your response! Unhide worked great and brought everything back! I think the malware may be out now after several hours of working on it with Unhack Me and HijackThis though I'm not 100% sure I got it out. The fake program is gone for good as well as the redirects but my internet still seems slow when searching.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

Slow Internet sounds as if your computer may still be infected.

Since it is only when not if hard drives die, make backups now since you don't want to lose anything.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users