Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot normally...only by pressing F8 key repeatedly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Good afternoon everyone,

Description of problem:

The boot problem described below began occurring after going to my homnepage on the Internet using Firefox browser. For some reason, I was unable to get FIrefox to close the pages and get back to my desktop screen. I had to do a <CTRL>, <ALT>, <DEL> to get off the Internet. (Homepage is my ISP log-in screen). After getting back to the desktop screen, I did a restart. This is the point where the computer would not boot normally.

Computer will not boot normally, either a cold boot or a restart. The only way it WILL boot is by pressing the F8 key repeatedly (or the F12 key) while doing a boot. It does NOT present the screen from which to choose how to boot (i.e. normally, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, etc). It just does a normal boot. I also note a high pitched sound emittting from the computer (almost like the sound a coffee pot on the stove makes as the steam whistles out a vent - just not as loud).

The sound stops after the system finally starts booting in Normal Mode. The system seems to be taking longer to boot, as well as, access the Internet, or go from one page on this website to another. RAM was upgraded from 512 MB to 2 GB a few days ago, and computer performance was significantly enhanced. NO problems like this have occurred before today.

UPDATE: In checking the Event Log, I find the following:

Error: Service Control Manager

The following boot start or system start driver(s) failed to load: MpFilter

Error: The MsMpSvc service failed to start due to the following error:

System cannot find the path specified

Error: Initialization failed because the transport refused to open initial addresses

I have no idea what this all means, or how to resolve it.

Resolution measures attempted thus far:

1. Full scans with Avast AV, SAS, and MBAM. No malware found.
2. Have tried multiple cold boots, as well as, restarts from the desktop with no change.
3. System Restore to 24 hours prior to this incident. No effect.

Any help in resolving this problem would be much appreciated. (System specs are shown below in signature line).

Thank you for your time and help!

Edited by spc3rd, 10 January 2012 - 05:40 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hi -
Do you have similar problems while using Internet Explorer or another browser, or is this just with F/fox -

Thanks -

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2012 - 06:13 PM.
Moved to Am I Infected from XP.

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hi noknojon,

The issue with Firefox just happened out of the blue. I'd downloaded it a couple of days prior to when this boot problem began and had no issues with it, until the day it would not close out the homepage I was on. I have not had any issues like this when using IE8 which has been the browser that I've always used in the past.

I should also mention here that if you or anyone else posts a reply and I do not answer back within 24 hours...it will mean that my computer has finally bit the dust and I can no longer log-on to it. This morning...I could not even get to the log-in screen. When the computer restarted, it first hangs at the Dell logo screen until I press either the F8 key or F12 key. Then, it will get to a partial display of the Windows log-in screen, and hang there.

The only way I managed to get back on the computer was to press the <ESC> key once or twice. Then it displayed the entire Welcome log-in screen. Another oddity is that pressing <CTRL>, <ALT>, <DEL> will NOT bring up the Windows default Administrator account like it normally does. (I have no idea why doing this worked...THIS time).

I have already uninstalled Firefox from the computer, but I have doubts that Firefox was the cause of these boot problems. In going back in the Event Viewer as far as the log goes, which is November 2011, I see the same errors mentioned in my OP were showing up at regular intervals.

Thanks very much for getting back with me!

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

MpFilter.sys is a Microsoft Malware Protection Driver related to either Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials.

MsMpSvc.exe is related to Microsoft Windows Onecare live Antivirus.

Have you got Windows Defender turned on or off or do you have MSE or OneCare live Antivirus installed.

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

Hi Mark1956 and thanks for your reply.

Neither program is shown in the Add/Remove Programs list. I see neither program within the Program Files on the C drive. When looking in the Documents and Settings folder > All Users > Microsoft > MSESupport, there are two files in the folder. One is an uninstall log file and the other is some kind of setup file.

I was given this computer used. It's possible the previous owner may have had one of those programs on the computer at some point. I have had this computer since early 2011 and not experienced any boot issue until a few days ago. I would think if there was some issue involving MSE and/or Defender...it would have manifested itself back when I acquired this computer.

Thanks again for the reply.

spc3rd

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

<<I would think if there was some issue involving MSE and/or Defender...it would have manifested itself back when I acquired this computer.>>

Perhaps...if the files are not damaged...that might be true. But...the truth is that files get damaged quite routinely...and the only way that users find out such is when problems pop up which previously did not exist.

Let's try this :).

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Louis

#7 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi Louis...here is the Speccy snapshot you asked for.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/IjUz0fik2FalSe7V8MwEKjP

Many thanks for your reply!

spc3rd

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

Looking at the timing of what happened, I would like to move this to Am I Infected, with your permission.

When problems develop while online...that didn't exist before...I like to eliminate the obvious possible source.

The other obvious direction I could go in would be the PSU, but I would like to eliminate the malware possibility first.

Louis

#9 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

If you think that's best, then o.k. I've noted all the various type of scans that seem to be required in that forum; whether or not I will be able to complete them and post back is another matter...given the issue I've been having.

Thanks again!

spc3rd

#10 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

Good afternoon everyone,

This is an update to my OP about the boot problem.

This morning, I happened to disconnect the keyboard from the computer and did a restart. The machine booted up properly. After reconnecting the keyboard so I could login, I next tried connecting the keyboard to different USB ports and doing a restart. The boot issue returned.

The keyboard is a Microsoft Digital Media 3000 (Intellitype Pro). I tried uninstalling the software, reinstalling it and also updating the software via a Microsoft link. The boot problem continues, and the computer will only boot normally if I disconnect the keyboard prior to restarting.

My question at this point: Is this an indication that the keyboard itself needs to be replaced? (It is about 2 years old).

Any information or thoughts are appreciated.

spc3rd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users