Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Keyboard or Mouse after startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 komondor

komondor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

I have a problem with a PC that has me stumped. Windows XP Home with SP3 my friend had a problem with his keyboard, he replaced it and it took 3 tries to install the USB Drivers but it finally worked. Then the system Blue Screened and he brought it to Microcenter they said his CPU fan was bad and installed a new one. They all pulled the battery on the Motherboard for some reason. I told him to let just get the system back and I would look at it that a one time blue screen can happen(silly me)!

Now the system will boot fine and the desktop comes up but the keyboard and mouse will not work once windows starts at all. Numlock is lit but you cannot toggle it on or off. Mouse is lit but does not work.

Safe Mode does not work as it still has no keyboard or mouse

I can get into safe mode command prompt but don't really know what that gets me.

Ran CHKDSK and it completes when I checked the even log it showed some bad sectors that could not be repaired. I ran SpinRite and it found everything was fine.

I tried to do a repair install and when I boot the XP CD it does not see the current installation of XP and just wants to overwrite it. I have used the MS ERD commander and checked the system files. I also played with the drive settings since the morons pulled the battery options are IDE or RAID it is a Vostro 400. The system boots the same both ways but ERD crashes if I have it set for RAID ( single drive system)

I did a virus scan using an AVIRA boot disc and it found nothing.

Any help appreciated the only thought I have is that the drive is bad on some sectors but it just has me stumped?

I can also go to a restore point using ERD but it does not really seem to be working

To sum it up USB does not work no PS2 connectors on the motherboard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi Komondor,

Going on what you have stated, check your bios settings,me thinks your usb's are disabled.

Regards,

Tony. :cold:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 komondor

komondor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

No usb is enabled there is an option for highspeed/auto or low speed if it was disabled do you think it would work in the safe mode menus or for a boot disk?

#4 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi Again,

When this once happened to me, I went into the device manager and unistalled the usb controller, restarted and let windows re-install the controller equally check for driver updates.
Sorry that I cannot be more positive.

Regards
Tony.

:cold:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users