Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tcfaullw

tcfaullw

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 laptop that will not power on. I received the used laptop about a year ago; all it needed was a new power supply and battery and it has worked fine since then. A few months back my dog thought it would be a good idea to chew through the wire on the power supply. I spliced the wires back together, wrapped them in electrical tape and everything has worked fine since then. Two days ago the tape came off, the wires touched, and the laptop stopped working. I unplugged the power cord and rebooted with just the battery and everything worked fine. I fixed the power cord again, but now the laptop does not work. With the power cord plugged in (battery installed) the only thing that happens is the blue power light on the laptop flashes. The wire on the power supply is spliced between the square box (? converter) and the plug that goes into the laptop. The green light on the square box is on. I have tried the power supply without the battery and the only thing that happens is the blue power light on the laptop flashes. I tried holding the power button on for ten seconds before plugging the power supply back in (with and without the battery) and still no luck. I tried leaving the battery out for at least ten hours and still no luck. STUPID ALERT - I took the tape off the cord and touched the wires together just to see if power really was getting through and they sparked so power is getting through. Any help in determining the problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

Assuming it still works all you can do is try it with a new AC Adapter.

There are delicate electronic parts in the laptop Hopefully you didn't fry them. And the only test I can think of for you to try is substitute a different AC Adapter. Making sure it is the right voltage and amperage. The details should be on your old AC adapter.

Power may still be getting through, that does not mean it is the right type (DC not AC) or voltage. When the wires touched together that short circuit may have damaged the AC Adapter. It's job is to turn AC (alternating Current at Line voltage) into DC (Direct Current) at the proper voltage, amperage and polarity. It performs the same job for the laptop that the power supply does in the desktop computer.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 10 January 2012 - 01:23 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 tcfaullw

tcfaullw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

I bought a new power supply and I am still having the same problem -- laptop will not power on, blue power light flashes. Any suggestions?

Thank You

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

First thing to try remove the battery and the AC adapter, Press the power button to drain any stored voltage.
Without putting the battery back. Then try it with just the AC adapter and see what happens. If it works that way then shut down and as a precaution unplug the AC adapter and put the battery back. I'd remove the power just in case the battery has gone bad.

I have seen pulling the battery and the power and pressing the power button work so it can't hurt.
If with no battery and a known good Ac adapter it still doesn't work then the prognosis isn't good.
At that point the steps left to try involve some disassemble work. Pull the hard drive and DVD drive & memory and test just in case. Past that total take apart and slim to nil chance of success.

If no go then:
1. Suggestion one is return the AC adapter and get your money back.
2. Decide do I want to pay to have it checked out where they may do what I just said, take your money and say motherboard.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 January 2012 - 06:31 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 tcfaullw

tcfaullw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

I tried holding the power button on for ten seconds before plugging the power supply back in (with and without the battery) and still no luck. I even tried another power supply and still nothing but the flashing blue light. I am not sure how I would test the hard drive, DVD drive, and memory to see if they are still good. I was told that if I pulled the hard drive and memory then tried to power up that it should at least power on and display the manufacture's logo on the screen if the motherboard was still good. Is this true? I tried it anyway and I still had the flashing blue light. It seems that at the very least the motherboard is bad with possibly other items as well. I am not sure what a new motherboard would cost or if there is any soldering involved. If it is only a matter of taking out screws and disconnecting wires then I should be able to do it. I guess the real question is if it is worth trying to fix -- cost of motherboard vs. cost of new laptop.

Thank You

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Most likely the Motherboard is toast. I replaced a Motherboard in a L355 Toshiba recently. Buying from Toshiba it cost me $227 + S&H.

I only did after being sure that the rest of the components were good. Memory, CPU, Hard Drive, DVDRW etc. Also because other than that it still looked like new.

Some run higher.

You can get a idea of the cost by putting the model of the laptop and the word motherboard and ebay into goole for example.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=A135-S4527+motherboard+ebay&pbx=1&oq=A135-S4527+motherboard+ebay&aq=f&aqi=g-vC1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1625l6750l1l7657l17l14l0l0l0l0l937l5609l0.1.4.4.2.1.2l14l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=8d6768a857bfc9db&biw=1024&bih=593

The ebay prices look reasonable if you read the description and exclude things like for parts only.

All the connectors used in laptops are delicate and easy to break. There are a lot of them too.
Keyboard, Touchpad, Power button, Other buttons and lights, Speakers, Screen, Wireless, Webcam, Sometimes USB ports, And more. I've damaged my share over the years learning how to do it.

Edited by rotor123, 20 January 2012 - 11:32 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users