Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer, 120k memory, and windows launch fail? Oh my!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Apv301

Apv301

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

Hello!

I'm apv, and Im a compaholic. Being one, it's only natural I flock to the best comps and programs I can find. Thus my continual appearance here.

A long time ago, in a memory far far defraged I came here when I was experiencing "Error: 0xC004D401", which with your help I was able to defeat bringing peace to my comp system.

Later on I received the wonderful Win 7 AntiSpyware 2012 program, and while I was not able to cure the problem I took pride in the fact I had gained ground on it. I learned a valuable lesson on knowing when to throw in the towel.

Now I return once again, with hopefully the simplest problems thus far. I do apologize for asking help as much as I do.

My problems.

My computer that suffered the win7anti attack was successfully repaired at a shop where I live, I noticed however that they deleted my Avast! in the process. This confused me, so I simply reinstalled it without downloading a new installer. Big mistake.

Immediately I experienced two explorer.exe problems

Problem 1: Explore.exe will crash rapidly and ask to restart and what not, which I tell it to restart. Upon doing so, if I click ANYTHING like a folder or file (or even Computer) it tells me

The remote procedure call failed and did not execute.

------------

Problem 2: Assuming I click an exe instead of a folder (and avoid the explorer crash) I notice the lack of.... anything. If I open task manager whatever program I tried to open will be stuck in processes with memory between 100k and 120k.

I've seen a few other people on the internet with problem 2, and it seems to be an AMD issue though the majority of them are using 64x and alot of them Avast. Link to example

My final issue, may be the most serious, even though I'm not treating it like it is.
When I installed avast and noticed the immediate problems explorer was going through, I connected the dots and got the brilliant idea of starting in safe mode, and deleting the "avast" program file. Big mistake.

Upon doing so, I told the comp to shut down... which it sort of did. Except it didn't fully power off, it stopped making noise, and the power button began blinking. I reset the comp via pulling its plug and was greeted with the startup black screen that says "Shift+f10", I can reset to get the full text if you wish, but I believe you know the screen I mean.

This screen appeared... then disappeared, "oh good" I thought, as it always does this then loads windows. Wrong, this time it appeared again then it flashed my AMD startup logo and appeared again. It did this a final time and a message appeared telling me it could not start windows and that it would attempt to repair. It did so, and restored my comp. On loading the explorer problems all returned. Fearing removing avast killed my comp, I restored it, then did a restore to before I reinstalled avast.

At current the "shift+f10" screen appears once, then appears a second time per reset, and then starts windows normally. While it appears to nolonger be a problem... the fact it's not working the way it used to bothers me.

Please help =L

Specs that I can remember: (can get all you need, but I need to hook up the other comp for them)

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
HD: 2+TB
What's happening dudes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users