Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dvd drive dosen't work after fixing malware attack

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 laughingcrowe

laughingcrowe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:11 AM

i recently fixed an "xp antivirus 2012" attack on my laptop with help from this forum and malwarebytes. thank you!!
i've had 2 problems since and one i've fixed (couldn't get the machine to go into standby because the default monitor driver was hosed up)
the other i have yet to figure out... my dvdrw drive is not showing up and not working.

laptop is a lenovo t61
dvdrw is an optiarc dvd rw ad-7910a
running windows xp

drivers won't update using device manager
device status is "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

any advice for me on how to get my disc drive working again?
thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

Download and run this fixit

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/2/3/E237A32D-E0A9-4863-B864-9E820C1C6F9A/MicrosoftFixit.dvd.Run.exe

Restart your PC.You should getback your icon

Good luck

#3 laughingcrowe

laughingcrowe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

yes!
thank you soo much.
problem resolved!

#4 jmilne

jmilne

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:06 PM

I have the same problem, but slightly different.

Problem description:

When starting the computer up there is no DVDRW in "My Computer", but in device manager the drive is showing with an exclamation mark on it. 

When I right click and uninstall device, then select computer and scan hardware, it installs correctly and thus also showing in "

My Computer".

Problem is when I reboot the system, it is back to not showing the device again the same with exclamation in device manager.

Other fixes

I have tried the fix above and some register changes to no success.

thanks in advance!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

Did you have a malware issue and what is your operating system?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users