Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes appx. 5 mins after login.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 /b/ryce

/b/ryce

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

Recently(starting today) I've been having problems with this laptop freezing approximately five minutes or less after login. The whole laptop locks up and I have no way to interface with it. On a whim, I decided to see exactly what I can do when this happens, and I can open the disk drive(it seems to only require power) which will not spin the disk after it is closed, and press-and-hold the power button to turn the laptop off.

I booted into safe mode with networking and have run MalwareBytes(which found only two items), Spybot(this found about nine or ten) and I tried to get kaspersky running but Windows installer doesn't work in safe mode. The only way I can use the computer is in safe mode, which I am using right now.

It isn't my computer, my brother asked me to help, since I'm the 'tech-savvy' person in the family, but this is beyond my scope of experience. Expeditious help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Regards,
/b/ryce

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2012 - 07:14 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

I booted into safe mode with networking and have run MalwareBytes(which found only two items),

Hi -
Can you try to get a quick scan of Malwarebytes in Normal Mode, as some malware is not seen in Safe Mode -
This should only take about 4 mins (if it has been updated) and may find a few more infections for you -

Thank You -

#3 /b/ryce

/b/ryce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:09 PM

Okay, I exaggerated a bit with the five minutes until the computer froze. It's more like a minute and a half, I was unable to get a malwarebytes quick scan in. But before I could do that, there was a whole slew of problems to fix before I could even get there. Originally there was a database error or some such thing, and it said database version 0.0.0.0... just a bunch of zeros. When I tried to reinstall MBAM I got an error saying 'restricted access' or something like that(even in normal mode running as admin). I was trying to install it to C:/Program Files/Malware Bytes. Anyways, I was able to get it to work by installing it in my users/USER/Documents folder. It found 9 malicious files in safe mode(full scan). after running it(MBAM) in normal mode(is there a term for this other than 'normal mode'? it seems kinda... lacking.) the computer froze at 1:24.

Oh, and Firefox is all screwy now too. Every time I try to open it, it gives me the error that firefox has crashed and asks me to send a crash report, and if I click 'restart firefox' then another crash report box opens, and so on, ad naseum.

Sorry for my rambling... I tried to edit up a bit to make it cleaner. If you need more information, I'll do my best to provide it.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

Try running in safemode and perform a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Tekken

#5 /b/ryce

/b/ryce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

I am currently running from a clean boot as followed from that guide, MBAM found nothing when doing a full scan, and the computer seems slower than normal.
When not running from a clean boot, the computer will still freeze after a few minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users