Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strike F1 to retry boot problem on Dell XPS 9100 desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alpha4345

alpha4345

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hello guys!

My parents recently bought a new Dell XPS desktop and guess what: IT GOT A PROBLEM (like most of Dell computer I've seen).

It was working "fine" until last week. Here's the problem: when trying to boot, it displays an error message saying "Strike F1 to retry boot". I looked into its BIOs and I found the problem--> No HDD is detected by the motherboard. Looks like it's a pretty common problem from Dell computers because I found many threads talking about it. From what I read here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19250087.aspx , I can solve the problem by replacing the hard-drive by another one. I can ether call Dell support because it's still in warranty or I can just buy a new 1TB drive and throw it into it. But...

1. How to be 100% sure that my BIOs aren't recognizing the hard-drive?

2. How to make a backup of a failed hard-drive?

3. What's the cause of my problem?

4. Should I call Dell support or buy a new HDD by myself?

5. Will replacing the HDD really solve my problem?

Here are the specs of the Dell XPS 9100, if it can help:

Intel Core I7 quad core CPU running at 2800mhz
ATI Radeon HD 5870 GPU with 1GB GDDR5
12GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
1TB 7200RPM HDD--> failed.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS
525W power supply (not sure)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE! :)

Alpha8768 out.

Edited by alpha4345, 09 January 2012 - 04:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

Your first step...should be to run the complete Dell Diagnostics package. That would give you something to work with, IMO.

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

First follow Louis's advice.

I'm not familiar with that model so check in the bios and see if that SATA port is set to disabled or off

1. If it doesn't show up in the boot device menu (F12 when the dell logo appears) or Bios it isn't being detected.

2. If it isn't detectable then it gets expensive. www.ontrack.com for example.

3. Hard drives die, Dell uses the same brands as other computer makers as well as home built computers.

4. Why would you want to spend the money? Call Dell and mention that they need to provide recovery discs.

5. If it really is a bad hard drive, then yes that will fix it.
Other possibilities are data cable loose or off at either end. power cable loose or off.
From DC3

Caution: There are electronics inside the case that are very susceptible to electrostatic discharges. To protect your computer, touch the metal of the case to discharge yourself of any electrostatic charges your body may have stored before touching any of the components inside. As a safety precaution you should unplug the computer to avoid electrical shock.

Edited by rotor123, 10 January 2012 - 11:36 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 alpha4345

alpha4345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

First follow Louis's advice.

I'm not familiar with that model so check in the bios and see if that SATA port is set to disabled or off

1. If it doesn't show up in the boot device menu (F12 when the dell logo appears) or Bios it isn't being detected.

2. If it isn't detectable then it gets expensive. www.ontrack.com for example.

3. Hard drives die, Dell uses the same brands as other computer makers as well as home built computers.

4. Why would you want to spend the money? Call Dell and mention that they need to provide recovery discs.

5. If it really is a bad hard drive, then yes that will fix it.
Other possibilities are data cable loose or off at either end. power cable loose or off.
From DC3

Caution: There are electronics inside the case that are very susceptible to electrostatic discharges. To protect your computer, touch the metal of the case to discharge yourself of any electrostatic charges your body may have stored before touching any of the components inside. As a safety precaution you should unplug the computer to avoid electrical shock.

My parents computer is now 1 year and 2 months old--> no warranty since 2 months -_- So I'll do some test with the hardware (play with the HDD to se if it's a connection problem/test cables) and probably buy a new hard drive on tigerdirect.ca .

I doubt I will use Ontrack services because there was no "important" data on their computer. But there's only one problem: how do I install Windows on a blank hard drive?? I'll try to find some tutorials on the internet...

I am open to any other comment/advices.

BTW, thank you guys for your time!

Edited by alpha4345, 10 January 2012 - 06:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users