Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Ubuntu to a blank reformatted hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hi learned Ubuntu folk, I have downloaded and burned to disk the Ubuntu ISO. I have fitted a blank hard drive to my laptop.
I tried to start up with CD/DVD drive selected, the BIOS found it but came up with Not a bootable CD in CD drive.
So where do I go or what do I do to get Ubuntu onto this blank hard drive?
Laptop is a rather old Toshiba satellite A60. The CPU and rest of system 32bit as is the Ubuntu download and now disk.

For information, the hard drive is 40GB, I recently removed it from the laptop and installed a larger 160GB hard drive, by using a previously created image I installed the previous XP and all data to that drive. Leaving the smaller hard drive spare.
I formatted and therefore wiped the smaller 40GB hard drive using a 2'5 inch IDE to USB enclosure bought for the purpose, I then removed the 160GB drive from the laptop and refitted the now blank 40GB HDD.

Nev.
Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Heya,
the CD should be bootable. How did you make it?

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Suggestions.....

Burning an ISO of Ubuntu

Modest Spec or Barebones Installation of Ubuntu

If you have a low-spec'ed computer (64 to 128 MB of RAM, less than 1 GHz processor), you may have difficulty with a regular Ubuntu installation. You may, even if you have a higher-spec'ed computer want to create a minimal installation for other reasons.
Go to the Ubuntu Minimal CD Image page to get the minimal CD.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hi,

do you have a different PC you could test the CD on? If it works there it would be the PC, if it doesn't then the CD is likely broken.

regards myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#5 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

Laptop has 1GB RAM, 2.8Ghz CPU so should not be problem, the disk is OK, it is the fact that the drive is totally blank, just reformatted. With a drive with windows on, it can read the disk, but don't want to install to a drive with windows on , I want to install to a plain blank hard drive.
Will look into whether I burned the disk correctly later, as it means putting the Windows hard drive back in first.
Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 10 January 2012 - 02:09 PM.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

Ubuntu Live CD does not require any hdd to run. You should be able to run it from the CD-ROM. Which is the
best way to see if it is compatible with your computer. Using it as a live CD and not installed.

If it does not run from the CD-ROM then it is likely either a bad CD burn or bad CD-ROM.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

OK, I think everyone is forgetting that in most cases you start with a computer with either Mac OS or Windows already installed on the hard drive. I have Windows7 on the desktop, with Windows XP originally on the laptop, the disk was burned on the laptop while the drive with windows was in it. Now the laptop has a totally blank drive in it. Windows7 recognises the disk and wants to run and install it. Which at the moment I don't, I want it on the laptop with the blank drive in. I think perhaps I will use the original laptop Windows image and re-install that on the small hard drive, then use that to install from the disk, a bit sort of the long way round perhaps, but hopefully will work.

Nev.
Posted Image

#8 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

OP said, "I want to install to a plain blank hard drive."

Try not formatting using Windows. Instead, download the ISO for System Rescue CD (sysresccd), burn it using an ISO-burning program like ImgBurn at no more than 8X to ensure integrity of the burn; then boot to the CD (first making BIOS changes to allow this), choose Default (just hit "Enter"} a few times until reaching the multi-colored prompt on the page telling user to either enter "wizard" or "startx" --

[this step optional] then type in command dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync with sda being the hdd that BIOS gives first priority to; This will wipe your hard drive with zeros so it will be 'like new' except for the mileage it already has on it

then, [not optional] still at the above-stated prompt, type in "startx" and wait till the yellow-colored window appears with another prompt
In it, type gparted and partition the drive, formatting / to ext4 with a swap of about 2GB and a /home of most of the remainder (for three partitions) and ext4, again.

Now, try installing whatever Linux distro is desired, just stating to use manual partitioning and use the partitions created with sysresccd, but editing them to original specs (so write them down when first created with sysresccd).

Best wishes!

Edited by pane-free, 10 January 2012 - 04:51 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Plastic Nev.....I don't think you understood my last post. As I said, you don't need any hdd to run a Live Ubuntu CD. Just to be more clear,
you can disconnect all hdds and should still be able to run a properly burned live CD in a working CD-ROM. It will only load in the RAM.

Again, you should first run as a live CD before installing to see if Ubuntu is compatible with your computer.

If your computer does not recognize the CD then there is something wrong with either the CD or the CD-ROM.

From where exactly did you download the ISO?

#10 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the help folks, however, after buddy215 posted I got a little suspicious of the disk I had burned, it was then after a bit of searching I found I had unwittingly burned a data only disk and not the correct one after all. DUUUHHH!!!
So, just to be sure I was burning the correct disk I downloaded "InfraRecorder and used that to burn a correct image disk.
After that it all went like clockwork and I am using Ubuntu to check things out and learn how to get the best out of it, fairly impressed so far, considering the laptop is a single cored 3Ghz Pentium4 CPU with only 1.5GB RAM, it is quite fast.

Thanks once again for the input everyone and problem solved

Nev.
Posted Image

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for posting back with the fix.

#12 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

Just as a follow up to the above topic.
Ubuntu is a great operating system for general computer use, it is fine for browsing the web using any of the compatible browsers, the included office type software for documents and letter, story or poetry writing. Photographs can be sorted and handled, similar for sound and video. For general purpose use, it is a bit faster and can be a great experience.

However do not expect to be able to install or use sophisticated software, most of which is created for Windows or Mac, and will not install on any Linux system. This unfortunately is a big downfall of Linux and hope the developers of both Linux and the software manufacturers can get together and make it work.

Being a musician and sometime writer of music, I need sophisticated software such as Finale and a few other music creation software's, this makes Ubuntu a novelty only and unfortunately of little use to me.

So having at least had it installed and running on a hard drive within the laptop, regrettably I had to remove that drive and refit the larger Windows XP drive. However Ubuntu will stay on the smaller drive and stored for maybe further exploration as and when the time is available.

Regards to all who offered the earlier help and pointed me to creating the correct bootable disk so I could at least get this far, thanks once again.
The information and experience gathered, will no doubt be of help to helping others elsewhere and maybe here.

Nev.
Posted Image

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

Hi,

unfortunately it is absolutely true that most software writers do not take the time to bring out a "linux version" of their tools. There is not much the linux community can do in those cases, it's solely the decision of the software distributor. However the community will usually develop alternative programs that does a similar range of things.

There are a few alternatives to finale that will run on Linux and I can recommend this page to search for them: http://alternativeto.net/software/finale/?platform=linux

I have only shown you the linux alternatives to finale, but you can of course also search for alternatives to any other software for Windows if you want too, it is a huge repository of software classified by similarity to each other software listed on the site.

This not to say that there will always be a way to use ubuntu only, but as information only. I'm fully aware that there are professions and private uses for which Ubuntu just won't work.

regards myrti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users