Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Responding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beach Plum

Beach Plum

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Often my computer stops working. Even if I boot up and leave the computer at the password login I can just freeze there. Usually I don't get a blue screen, but the mouse stops in place and the keyboard does nothing. I then reset/restart with a reset button. Sometimes I need the MS Restore.

I have a home built computer. The builder took it back and tested it but declared it fine. I paid 120 dollars for local guys to test it and they found nothing wrong. Does anyone have an approach to fixing this computer. I have no idea what to do now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

The most common cause of random freezes like that is a failing power supply. Do not test your power supply on another motherboard. Rather, get another power supply and test it on the motherboard you have.

Also, look carefully at the capacitors on your motherboard and check for bulging or leaking on the tops. Do a Google image search for 'bad capacitors' to have a comparison. The bulging can be slight so, again, look with care.

Another common testing method is to remove all sticks of RAM except one and test it with Memtest86+. If it passes, take that one out and put another one it and retest. Rinse and repeat until you've been through every stick you had installed.

Use MemTest86+ to test your memory for failure.

• Donwload the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip), extract the ISO to a folder of your choice, and burn it to a blank CD. Instructions
  • Boot the affected computer from the CD. If necessary, adjust your BIOS settings to boot from the DVD/CD drive first.
  • Memtest is designed to repeat its test continuously. It is recommended that you allow the program to complete several 'passes' before declaring your memory error-free.
    • These tests are very lengthy. It is recommended to run Memtest86+ overnight.
  • If Memtest finds an error, it will list it in red. There is no need to continue the test if an error is found.
  • After several clean passes (or an error) Press Esc to stop the test and reboot.
  • Report the results in your next reply.

====================================================

Edited by LucheLibre, 09 January 2012 - 07:36 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 Beach Plum

Beach Plum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

I called the techs who tested the computer and they claimed to have looked at these things, they did not test ram individually but stated that any memory problem would have been evident and they would test individually if a problem was found. They tested the CPU and claimed if a power supply error was present the CPU tests would fail.

I will run the memtest on individual sticks of ram. Frankly I am afraid to remove hardware, but thank you for giving me a focus.

One question, if I pull ram out will my computer finish booting?

#4 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

As long as you have one stick in the slot closest to the CPU, then yes, the computer should still boot.

Edited by LucheLibre, 12 January 2012 - 04:02 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users