Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC has two HDD, one failed SMART, can it affect the other one?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spraragen88

Spraragen88

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Win7 (64bit)
8GB Ram (2 x 4GB sticks)
Gigabyte Mobo
Phenom II x4 555 Black
2 HDDs both Seagate ST3160211AS Barracuda's (120GB each)

My PC has two internal hard drives. One (C:) is where Windows and every other program is installed. The other (D:) is where I keep photos, music and office files.

My computer started freezing a lot and so I ran some tests and the only thing that failed was SMART on the D: drive with close to 1,500 errors. It is screwed I know. I have not removed it yet because something fishy is happening with Windows. It successfully boots up every 1/8 times (more than likely because the D drive is bad, I know) and when it boots it runs fine until I run Firefox. Firefox runs well for 5 minutes max then the system locks up and I have to power it down.

Would the bad D drive cause this issue with Firefox on the C drive?? These have to be related somehow. I ran two system diags (PC Doctor and the Geek Squad MRI) and they came back fine on everything except D.

I have uninstalled firefox and even tried older versions and still it causes issues.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

yes it would degrade the performance of the entire computer. I would highly recommend that you disconnect the failing drive at once.

#3 Spraragen88

Spraragen88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

So how would it degrade the performance of everything else though? I get it causes the long and unpredictable boot times but after that if I never use it it should stay still right? Or is the disk always spinning even when not being read?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

There could be drive diagnostics being ran on it, virus scans, and other activity that causes windows to become unstable.

#5 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:48 AM

If by chance the pagefile (or some of it) is on the failing drive, that could cause a lot of problems.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:32 PM

The failing drive could also be causing problem for the hard drive controller.

I recently started having problems with windows freezing. ON a restart sometimes the E: drive would be MIA.

I pulled the data and power cable off of it. No more problems. Fortunately that was a scratch use drive. It did have some ISO files on it and I may attempt to retrieve them one day, Or I may just chuck it. Either way I won't keep using it since it is failing.

You have a very simple Diagnostic test available to you. Unplug the Power and data cable from Drive D: and run the computer for a few days and see if the problems persist or go away with the failing drive.
Note that if you only pull that data cable the drive can continue to get worse due to being powered on and you may lose the ability to backup whatever is on it.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 January 2012 - 01:35 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users