Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new graphics card stopped working-please help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel1786

Rachel1786

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

My boyfriends computer is going haywire. It's gotten so bad he can't even open a webpage. A few months ago he was having issues with his graphics card, the fan wasn't running when he would play games and I believe the card was over heating and causing the card to crash. So we ordered a new graphics card and power supply(since the the new card required more power then the power supply the computer came with). I was very hesitant to install the power supply as I had never done it before, so over thanksgiving his sister, who works in IT came over and installed it for him. The first day he installed the card it crashed a few times but then it worked fine until the last week or 2, it's slowly been getting worse. He plays minecraft and it has been crashing quite a bit. Yesterday was by far the worst tho. Firefox repeatedly crashed and he couldn't even play minecraft. I decided that maybe the drivers on the card needed to be updated so I did so. Since I updated the drivers the screen is becoming very pixelated when ever he runs anything, such as firefox or minecraft. It comes up with an error code "Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered AMDKMDAP" That messages just keeps popping up so fast it's hard to read. Since his computer is practically useless right now it's going to be hard to run tests on it or anything, but I can use my flash drive and download from mine and try to install it on his. This is his computer
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-M9400F-Desktop-Processor/dp/B001FW5DIG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Hopefully it has all the system info you need!
This is the new PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703026
And this is the new graphics card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374
Please let me know what other info you need and I will do my best to get it, it's just hard with the graphics card crashing all the time!

ETA:I forgot to mention that start up has also been INSANELY slow since I updated the driver. I'm attempting to rollback the driver to before I updated the driver, but he was having issues even before that, it just seemed to get worse after the update.

ETA again: Nope rolling back the driver did not help, took some pics with my phone to better show the issue.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Rachel1786, 09 January 2012 - 12:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

OK so now, I just reinstalled the updated driver and took the side cover off to see it the fan was spinning(since that was in issue with his last card) and it was so I went on firefox again and no crashing(had crashed EVERY TIME we loaded it) then went to the minecraft startup screen and no crashing. I don't remember if I tried firefox after I re-updated the driver so I'm unsure if taking the cover off was helpful or if reinstalling the driver update was what was helpful. Either way the computer was having issues before the driver update so I'm pretty sure this is just a temporary fix.

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

Does the PC start to crash after a while after you put the side panel back on?

Edited by LucheLibre, 11 January 2012 - 01:54 AM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 Rachel1786

Rachel1786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Does the PC start to crash after a while after you put the side panel back on?

He hasn't put the panel back on, he's scared that it will cause it to crash again. It's been running great since I last posted. He said he'll try to put it back on later but right now he's playing minecraft and doesn't want it to crash again lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users