Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows\system32\cmd.exe error

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 kurtunes

kurtunes

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

When I start xp before desktop loads completely a small black box pops up quickly then dissapears. Seems to say windows\system32\cmd.exe Happens so quickly hard to read everything. I've tried print screen but to fast for me to catch. When desktop loaded I haven't noticed any problems with PC but am concerned as fear a virus. Have run different virus programs and disc check,etc. It does not happen when booting in safe mode. Have googled several people having this problem but have read no solutions? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ShadowFiend

ShadowFiend

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

Click on Start - Run and type "msconfig" without the quotes then press enter.
Click on the startup tab and check if there's anything related to cmd.exe.

If you think it's related to malware, try posting in the Am I infected? What do I do? section.

#3 kurtunes

kurtunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to mention that I already tried that and actually unchecked all startup boxes as there was no cmd.exe and it still happened when starting? I did go to run regedit and there are several cmd.exe but didn't alter as afraid it might screw up PC. Not sure if it is a virus as really haven't had any problems with PC running programs,etc.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

I see that Broni is helping you with this issue in another part of the forum, so I am closing this topic to prevent confusion.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users