Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 droppy45

droppy45

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

Hello, all. Have browsed this site occasionally for years and have found help just lurking but finally have a question to post.
I am attempting to help a friend speed up his very slow desktop. It is a Compaq Presario sr1710nx, manufactured about 05' I think. I might add that I'm getting old and my memory and things I used to know, I don't remember or never really knew.

My question, or questions concern installing an OEM or Upgrade version of XP on this computer, and relating to the motherboard drivers. I am assuming that if i install the OEM version, that will over write the origional drivers and I would have to find and reinstall them.
Compaq does not support this computer any longer so that is not an option. I have seen restore disks advertised but want to use that option as a last resort, as in absolutely necessary.
So, if I am correct that installing the OEM will wipe out the motherboard drivers, is there any way to select and back them up prior to the OEM installation?
And I do know that I can increase RAM, uninstall programs and bloatware, run antivirus and antispyware, and those steps would probably help a lot, but I would still like to make a clean reinstall of XP.

Thanks for all suggestions and info!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=1817035

Sometimes...the HP website is not aware of data for older systems...which is available :). The direct route told me that the system was no longer supported...an indirect route took me to the above.

Louis

#3 droppy45

droppy45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

Yes, I came across that page also, but after checking out the page for recovery media, it is not available for this computer. Although they have some drivers listed, they are for external devices that Windows installs anyway, but no motherboard chipset drivers.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

They are all..."motherboard drivers".

If you mean the chipset drivers, I sse them in the Original package, ATI Chipset.

Louis

#5 droppy45

droppy45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

You're right, hamluis, I over looked that entry. Told you I was getting over the hill. Thank you very much for pointing that out. I sure appreciate your help!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

Easily done...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users