Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

16 Bit Color, How Do I Get More?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jpar03

jpar03

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:29 PM

My computer crashed and i reinstalled windowns. I got it up and running and internet working, but my pictures and certain web pages come up weird. I only have 16 bit color now. Is there somewhere i can download something to fix this problem and give me more color?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:02 PM

I think you need to install the proper video drivers. Check under System properties - Device manager what video hardware is installed, if it says VGA-something, then you need to look for those drivers.

What brand and model is your computer?

#3 jpar03

jpar03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:14 AM

Its windows 98 and my computer is a gateway. The color used to be perfectly fine, but my computer crashed and i had to reinstall windows. The color hasnt been the same since. Also, i cant get my sound to work either. I thought i'd mention that incase you knew anything bout that one too. thanks for your help

#4 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:57 AM

You need to use an analytical tool such as SANDRA to find out the make and model of your graphics & sound hardware, then you can pop along to the manufacturers' websites and look for the correct drivers (failing that try driverguide.com).

You would need an older version of SANDRA, as the current one is geared up for XP, so if you can't find it to download anywhere, drop me a PM. ;)
Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:36 AM

Since you don't have sound or video I suspect a motherboard driver is needed. Download and run Belarc Advisor or the more complete EVEREST Home Edition and let us know what your motherboard make and model is and we can help you find the drivers you need.

Edited by Leurgy, 10 February 2006 - 09:58 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:37 PM

I think the simplest way is to go to Gateway support page, and look for your model's drivers. What model is your computer?

#7 jpar03

jpar03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:31 PM

The model is a gateway GP6-566C RENTWAY.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:56 AM

Gateway doesn't return any results when you search that Model number as it is probably specific to Rentway. Try going here and entering your Serial number. You are looking for Video Drivers.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:58 PM

Is it an Intel 81X motherboard? Then, this drivers might work:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers...2&uid=113753840

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users