Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Spyware

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Fern

Silver Fern

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:18 PM

I have just downloaded - Spyware Doctor via Major Geeks.com. and after scanning my system it tells me that I have 18 spyware some high risk. As it was unpaid software it could not get rid of them.
I also downloaded Webroot-Spy Sweeper and according to PC computer .com it is the best available. After doing a scan on a trial period it tells me there is no spyware in my system.!!!
Who does one believe. ?
I am getting some unwanted email but that doesn't necessarily mean there is lots of spyware in my pc. I tried Microsoft's Beta anti spyware and it found 1.
Any ideas, I don't want to pay for anti spyware only to find its not as good as recommended.
Appreciate any advice.
Life is a journey not a destination;
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:25 PM

The point to remember is that each and every company has its own definition of what constitutes spyware, and thus searching your computer using different criteria will yield different results.
Two of the best and most widely-used spyware applications are free, and will attempt to quarantine what they find:
Ad-AwareSE
Spybot Search and Destroy.

Because of this lack of agreement, a careful user will have several anti-spyware applications on his computer, and update their definitions regularly.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 09 February 2006 - 07:25 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:13 AM

Thanks for your reply. I do have Ad-AwareSE and Spybot S&D, update regularly so I may look at one another.
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,934 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:57 AM

jgweed is right on target. No single program on the market can claim 100% detection/removal so using more than one is recommended. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.

There is a listing of some of the top trustworthy programs available here.
{if you scroll up, there is a listing of rogue programs that you should not use).

eTrust PestPatrol Anti-Spyware 2005 has a full version that is free for a 1362 day trial. This is a German site but the EULA is in English. After install, allow it to check for and download any updates, then click "Apply Changes" before running your first scan. When you open the program there is a reminder under "License" telling you the Pest update subscription expires in 1362 days.

Active Protection is "Stopped" by default when installing. To enable click "Advanced Settings", choose Configure "Active Protection", check the box next to "Start Active Protection when my computer starts", click "Start Active Protection" and then "OK/Apply". Leave the default as "Stopped" to use as a stand-alone scanner.

Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5 is another good tool to use.
Ewido Install and Scan Instructions
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:45 PM

Since downloading Microsoft's Anti Spyware (Beta) and Ad-AwareSE Personal, a notice fromAVG is appearing telling me that the AVG email scanner is not fully functional. Looks like one of the latest spyware that I have downloaded has interefered with AVG's email scanning, an important feature, I believe.
What do you think. ?
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

I do not use MS AS, but I do use Ad-AwareSE and AVG and these two do not seem to conflict. Have you tried to re-enable the Email scanning at the Control Center in AVG with any success?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for your reply John, No I haven't tried te re enable the email scanning, I'm a bit nervous in case I stuff things up, lol.
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#8 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:01 PM

jgweed is right on target. No single program on the market can claim 100% detection/removal so using more than one is recommended. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.

Just a note on security settings.

pcpitstop will offer to reset bad security settings as well as using SpywareBlaster

Edited by medab1, 10 February 2006 - 06:04 PM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#9 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:59 PM

I do not use MS AS, but I do use Ad-AwareSE and AVG and these two do not seem to conflict. Have you tried to re-enable the Email scanning at the Control Center in AVG with any success?
Regards,
John

:thumbsup: Somehow, the email scanning has rectified itself. :flowers:
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

#10 Silver Fern

Silver Fern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:03 PM

Thanks guys for your help, it was much appreciated.
Enjoy the trip.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users