Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pinned topic for answers and questions?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 06 November 2004 - 01:01 AM

How does everyone think of a topic that consists of common questions and then we can either post links to posts with their answers, or the answers themselves.

What do people think and how do you think we should format it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 09 November 2004 - 12:11 AM

I think Answers to Questions is a good title. Since a lot of the time one thing leads to another it might be hard to to identify some answers as exactly that, but its worth a try. I do hate to lose some good advice back in the unread threads, so you're definately on the right track by keeping a thread goin' that collects them in one place. I can imagine it drawing off of all the forums, including Tests & Scribbles. One thing comes to mind. The pipelining modification raw posted in another forum (or really part of this one, I never quite got the terminology. I'd call it the "internet tips & tricks SECTION" of this forum, but I don't know...) Anyway, it was basically an easy deal to do. There were some comments about variables, a couple questions still remain, like maximum practical limit to what it can do, but basically it is an ANSWER. So as to format, maybe when something is found to be an ANSWER, it can be assigned a link and some 'final' comments made? Each topic in the thread has a title desciptive of the ANSWER involved? Maybe the first lines of the topic should always be The Question? :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:38 PM

This might be a good idea. There is already a lot of great information in the tutorials and pinned messsages, though, that are already out there and grouped by topic. I would suggest an alternative of "pinning" a Q&A link to each section of the board that links to completed answers within that section that the average user might not be able to find on their own. Additions to this section should be limited, however, to the admin group, who would be responsible for verifying that the question has, in fact, had a correct and complete resolution.
This seems to be a daunting task, and I would suggest there may be other efforts that would have greater priority, for example, moving off topic posts to the "correct" section---this would be more helpful in the long run, I would think.

Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 10 November 2004 - 07:40 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:50 PM

Maybe a thread pinned in each topic, such as FAQ would serve the purpose?

Taking a snippet of a particular thread, summarizing the question and answer, would not be a bad idea. I know that some posts would be more difficult then others like Hi Jack This, but maybe in others it would not be as bad. I guess similar to the one you have done on free replacements for common applications.

Just some thoughts...
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:11 PM

Well what I am doing is when I answer a post, and its solved. I am writing down the question and then the solution.

Will see what it turns into

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users