Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Voice recognition (transcription) software

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 btkuhn777

btkuhn777

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

Hi guys,

I'm posting this question for my dad. He's a doctor, and he's not good with computers. Like many older doctors, rather that type up his own reports he dictates them on a tape recorder, then a secretary types out the dictation, then he goes back and reads the reports and corrects the secretary's errors. This is terribly inefficient and it ends up taking him probably twice as long as it would if he had decent typing skills and just did it himself. However, he insists that he's too old to learn how to type fast, and maybe he's right. Anyway, it seems to me that some decent speech recognition software would probably achieve the same results (cutting out the middleman and need for multiple proofs). He tried using dragon's software back around 2000 and it didn't work very well - too many errors. I'm thinking of buying him the latest dragon software since I assume that the quality is alot better 10 years later. But I don't really know. So, what is the best speech recognition software if price isn't too much of an issue (as long as it doesn't cost $1000)? I haven't personally used siri, I've heard it's great although I'm not sure how it would do with more complicated medical terminology. Although at the moment he spells out any word with more than about 5 letters. So I don't know how siri compares to dragon, or other targeted speech recognition software. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

Dragon gets good reviews, claims 99% accuracy and I've seen it on Amazon for under $100.
Depends on the input and how well you train the program, otherwise it's garbage in, garbage out.
All speech recognition programs require a little bit of perseverance, to achieve good results,
particularly where technical terms are used, but the programs learn from you.

Don't know your father's OS, but Win 7 includes speech recognition and control and it works just fine.

#3 knotty panda

knotty panda

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

Dragon Medical may help, but, it will have to be trained to his voice and he probably will not have the patience to put in the work. It's like anything else, you only get out of it what you put into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users