Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LoneGeek

LoneGeek

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

Hello,
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section...I just received an external hard drive new in the box never opened for free and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how good of a reputation this model has?
Here's the info
http://www.wdc.com/en/library/dual-option/2879-001094.pdf?wdc_lang=en

Edited by MRF71, 08 January 2012 - 11:55 PM.
moved from General Chat to External Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

Well, for western digital hard drives, I would say have a very good reputation, I use them a lot in my builds form myself and customers, never had one fail-I even have some that have been working for like 10 years. As for their enclosures (the external drives have the same type hard drive that come in computers, their just put in an enclosure that allows the portability) I cannot say, Ive never had a WD external drive, though I would hazard a guess that if their enclosures are even half as good as their hard drives, then you have a good external drive. And of course, hey, regardless of quality, the price was right so you really can't go wrong. That being said, the test of time is the best way to find out.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 LoneGeek

LoneGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for your reply...I'm gonna leave it running awhile since it's brand new and see if it gets hot.
Now it came with a firewire cable and a usb 2.0 cable, which one is the best to use?
Also, it is formatted as fat32 so shouldn't it be ntfs instead?

Edited by MRF71, 08 January 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:13 AM

thats up for debate, me I go with whatever works best for formatting. As far as the cables go, if you have firewire on your computer it is far faster then USB-when I had an external hard drive (I dont anymore) I prefered firewire, although, you got to make double sure you don't just unplug it, that you go through and disable it before you unplug it. Your supposed to do that with USB to, but for some reason I find you can get away with doing that with USB more often then firewire, but it dont take very long, and like I said-transfer speeds on firewire are far faster, the technology is actually better then USB.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Fat32 has a 4GB file size limit. It is more compatible with many media players and other devices.

NTFS can hold larger files.

Which is better depends on your intended use.
DVD images (ISOs) need NTFS.
Storing windows backup images, NTFS
Use with a certain brand of game console, Fat32

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 LoneGeek

LoneGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:00 AM

Well thanks guys for all your help, I think i'm good now :thumbsup:

#7 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

One more thing.

Go to amazon.com and look up your model.

There is likely to be many, many reviews from consumers who have had that model in use for some time.

#8 Chase_Wheeler

Chase_Wheeler

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

The only problem that I have with the WD full size enclosed drives is that most of them don't have a fan. But other than that they are just a normal WD drive, with an enclosure and a circuit board to go from sata to usb/firewire. When it goes out, take the hard drive out and hook it up either inside your computer or with an external sata to USB connector and you may have all of your documents still on it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users