Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Has corrupt registry file. Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crunchman

crunchman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

I got a error code 14, I Do Not have any recovery discs as I found the kids playing frisbee with them one day.

I was looking into buying a new OEM XP on ebay but am getting conflicting information on whether or not it

will work and what is needed for it to work.............Any thoughts ??

Its stuck in the familiar Windows to blue screen loop, its an HP Desktop......Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

I don't believe in purchasing various items using eBay...I prefer bona fide vendors, warranties, legal recourse, etc...if things go wrong.

I would take a direct approach...and contact the system manufacturer (HP) for replacement recovery/restore CDs.

Louis

#3 crunchman

crunchman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

Is it possible to obtain the Disks from HP, roughly How Much ?? XP Home Edition ...........Thanks

#4 crunchman

crunchman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:50 PM

Just got off the phone with HP, they want $200 to fix this.......Amazing, another Junk computer !

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

Please provide the exact detail of all error messages that you see.

Please do the following:

:step1: Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

:step2: Try the following ...
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key.
  • The computer will attempt to load Windows.
  • If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
EXAMPLE OF A CASE IN POINT: Why 10 times?
christiedell ... "L K G C worked on try 5!"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic267221.html
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users