Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mixed bag of issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 laptopstinks

laptopstinks

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

I am currently using a Dell Latitude D600 laptop, my second one in a few years and I'm having some major issues with it.

Specs:

Windows XP Pro SP2
Pentium M processor, 1400MHz, 1.40GHz, 1GB RAM.

The biggest problem I'm facing right now, is the speed of pages loading online, or lack of speed. Pages are loading or not loading as slow as a dinosaur.

I've had issues with my wireless, my wireless speed fluctuates severely, from 11mbps, which is standard, all the way down to 1mbps. When this happens, my internet cuts out, boots me out and nothing works.

But even now, when my wireless speed is fine, the pages are slow to load or just freeze and don't do anything.

I've been online today for over 12 hours, and it's gotten worse in the last few hours, and it's at its slowest right now. Even trying to register here was a nightmare with how slow it was going.

The other day I did a boot time virus scan, found 43 problems and fixed those. Malware scan turned up nothing, and spyware showed 4 small issues that were fixed as well.

I did a cookie dump and a quickspeed garbage dump, but nothing is helping the speed issue.

I remember on my old Gateway PC, I had this issue, but I was on a wired connection. Pages stopped loading there too. I never found out what the problem was as I purchased a laptop and started using it from then on.

I am waiting for a new laptop to be shipped to me, not sure exactly when it will arrive, but in the meantime, I need to use this one, and don't know if it will last until the new one arrives.

I really need to know what's going on with this one, since I do a lot of paid online work, and can't get any work done with a laptop that wont co-operate.

And it doesn't matter what browser I'm using, I have the same problem with Firefox and Chrome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sandeep sandy

sandeep sandy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:24 PM

looks like firewall blocking the web pages to load... once disable firewall and try it. And if u use any third party softwares like total securities with in-build firewalls just disable for some time and see :thumbup2:

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

First, be cautious about disabling the firewall, especially if "for some time". No firewall leaves your system vulnerable to attack. While anything is possible it's unlikely this is the cause, since some pages do eventually load. (unless you have more than one active firewall-more than one can cause conflicts)

I am assuming you have a router.
Have you investigated the router as being the cause? Unfortunately the only way to find out is to get a new router.

You mentioned the same issue happened when you were using a wired connection. Was this connection to a router or modem? A failing router can cause the slowness on both wireless and wired systems.

If you haven't done this already, remove the router from the equation for a simple test. Plug your laptop directly into the modem. (You may have to power down the modem first, connect, then power the modem back up) See if the speed increases. This will be a sign that it is a good possibility the router is the cause of the issue. And if it is you will have the same problem with your new laptop.

There are reasonably priced routers available. If you decide to purchase one make sure you can return it for a refund if it does not solve the problem.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 January 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#4 laptopstinks

laptopstinks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

Like I said, there are 2 other laptops sharing the wireless connection and neither of them have any issues with speed.

I find right now, being online for only a little while, speeds are fine, everything is loading reasonably well. It was last night while I'd been on for about 12 hours straight that the load times were extremely slow. I wonder what causes that, and that's what I'd like to focus on right now.

I've never had any firewall issues, so I'm in agreement that it's not the issue here.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

Like I said, there are 2 other laptops sharing the wireless connection and neither of them have any issues with speed.

Actually you didn't mention that in your original post. Since there are no issues with the other laptops, the router can probably be removed from the equation.

What security are you using? (firewall and antivirus) While the firewall isn't blocking the pages it could be a case of the one you use not playing nice with your system. This is more likely to happen with a suite than with stand-alone programs.

The only other thing I can think of is to refer you to this page:Slow Computer? Use this troubleshooting checklist

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 January 2012 - 09:15 PM.

#6 laptopstinks

laptopstinks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

Sorry, I thought I'd mentioned it. I've been asking all over for help and know I posted that info somewhere.

I'm using the standard firewall that came with this laptop and Avast, not a free version of it.

In the checklist, I've done the following steps:

1- Did a boot virus scan and found and fixed issues.

2. Never downloaded anything prior to the sluggish nature of my system.

3. Performed scans, dealt with issues, but it still continued to run slow.

4. I have changed settings in the past, but since I haven't added any new programs lately, I haven't done this.

5. All of this has been done in preparation of moving to a new laptop. Of a 40 gig hard drive, I'm using less than 9 gigs of space.

6. Nothing was found, did that prior to the boot virus scan.

7. Did this prior to the check disk, it really needed to be done, but still didn't help.

So the question is, where do we go from here? I mean besides waiting for the new laptop to arrive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users