Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fury87

Fury87

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hi, the other day I was using my computer and it blue screened on me. I had very little space left on my main drive (roughly 2gb) and was running firefox, a video, and JDownloader. I assumed the lack of space on my main drive combined with running some intensive programs running was what caused it. The computer completed the dump of the memory and proceeded to restart, got to the windows screen and I prompted it to 'Start Windows Normally.' It restarted shortly after that and then froze on the bios screen. At this point it was late, so I turned off the PC and went to bed. Today the computer refused to start at all. I unplugged everything and gave the computer a much needed cleaning, I then hooked everything back up and it still would not start. I hooked up a second power supply and it would still not start. Right now I am thinking it could be the motherboard but there is a few weird details that makes me unsure of this. When I shut the pc off last night I had my mouse plugged in through the usb on the case to charge it and it continued to charge (usb on the case is connected to mobo), the lights on the mobo come one when connected to both power supplies, when I hit the the power or reset buttons on the mobo the computer fails to start with both power supplies, the light that normally comes on on the ethernet port when the cable is plugged in does not come on. So, I'm pretty sure its the mobo but the fact that the lights on the mobo come on and the fact that my mouse charged after all this happened makes me slightly unsure. Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated, my rig is as follows:

Intel Core i7-930 Processor
CPU is cooled with a prolimatech megahalem cooler with 2 120mm fans in a push/pull configuration
Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard
6 GB Corsair RAM (not sure of the type off the top of my head, don't think it matters in this case but I will find out if someone asks)
XFX Radeon 5870 video card
2tb seagate hd
cooler master advanced 690 ii case

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 schnowzer08

schnowzer08

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

Do you remember what your BSOD displayed when if happened ? Try your Hard drive in another computer just to verify it is readable, I don't really think that is the problem because you cant get past POST now if I am understanding your correctly. How comfortable are you with playing around with your hardware?

To test if you have bad RAM try testing Dimms individually (if your motherboard will still boot with only one Dimm Installed). Also try booting without your Dvd/Cd drive plugged in it could be pulling too much power if you don't have a big enough power-supply.

Check your Cmos battery if you have one and also verify that the cables that connect to the motherboard that operate the on-off switch are seated properly.

Hopefully some of this helps.

You said the computer booted back up but it gave you the blue screen after you selected to start windows normally this means that it was booting actually booting up again until you replaced the power-supply. Check the power cable that leads to the Power supply and try a different wall outlet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users