Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blinking problem when i open and close laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Doomsis

Doomsis

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

When I slighlty close my laptop and open it back up again, the screen blinks twice ( but when it blinks, it turns black for couple seconds). I thought it was a loose hinge problem so I opened it up and tightened the hinge. The screen is finally not loose, but the problem still exists. I tried updating my video card drivers, but still problem is still there. I believe it might be a loose cable from my lcd screen. The screen i have is not the original. The original cracked and i had to replace it. When i update my drivers i ran the file. I didn't really uninstall the original. Under device manager, where is the graphic card driver located? Maybe if i uninstall it, it might fix the problem. Maybe my video drivers needs to be updated. When i go to the dell site, i go look for dell inspiron e1505. When i drop down the menu for rexommended video files to install, 4 show up. I only install the first one because i am not sure which one i need to install. If this doesnt help, i need instructions how to take apart lcd screen carefully because i dont want to damage anything. I saw a diagram online and said not to touch certain parts on the back of the lcd screen. Someone had installed the screen for me, but what are the possibilities that could be causing this problem? I am a bit worried because i was told if i dont deal with this, there's a possibility one of the cables will burn or whatever how u say it. If its something i shouldnt worry about, I need to know. I've tried checking what kind of graphics card i have, but when i right click, drop down a menu, and choose 'graphic properties- it allows me to mess with graphic settings (not display in control panel) but my graphic card settings. I tried clicking information, but doesnt seem to show what kind of graphics card it is. All I see is 'Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile'. When I start my computer up, it blinks once. So i figured i have a graphics card updates problem or just loose cables in lcd screen.

Edited by Doomsis, 08 January 2012 - 06:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Simple test. When you turn on the laptop as the Dell logo appears press F2 to go into the bios setup.

Make no changes.

While in there you are at a point before windows loads and there are no drivers to be good or bad.

Try opening and closing the screen and see if you still see the problem occurs.

since you made no changes you can just turn the L/T off

Please report back.

Thanks
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 January 2012 - 01:15 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

i went to that bios page that i went to and its normal. No blinking problems.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

That would tend to eliminate hardware problems.

If it were a bad cable to the LCD for example then it would do it in and out of windows.

No need to pull the screen apart now.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

Ok. My graphic card is : mobile on mobile intel® 945gm Express chipset family. Currently looking for updates @ intel.com.

It says:

Product Detected Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family
Current Driver Installed 6.14.10.4814
A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.

I went to the downloadcenter at intel website

http://downloadcenter.intel.com

I tried this (product:chipsets, product line: laptop chipsets, product name:Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family)
After the name of product was found, i set OS as Windows XP Home edition and clicked drivers for download type. There's 6 of them. So i'm going to download the .exe version and see if anything changes.

When i start setup, my chipset is listed on list and after setup it says:
the driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer.

So i went to dell.com to look for drivers. (Dell Laptop Inspiron e1505) and looked under chipsets. I thought it was a video problem and going to see what happens. Out of the two i know its the mobile file. Going to get back to you what happens.

O crap that's not my grahpics card -_- brb.

So how do i make it stop. Updating the chipset didnt help so am i trying to update video card (if thats causing the problem)?

Edited by Doomsis, 11 January 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

I'm out of ideas if you updated the Video drivers. Is this the one you used?

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=984X8&FileId=2731098204
Intel 945GM Graphics Controller

If it was this one that is different.
Intel Mobile Chipset
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R0THY&FileId=2731091300

I suspect that if it were mine I'd live with it. I live with a similar delay now on a 19" monitor that I replaced some bad capacitors. When I switch computers on the KVM there is a several second delay before the screen appears. I'm used to it after a year. Not to mention it is either get used to it or go back to a smaller screen.

Edited by rotor123, 12 January 2012 - 05:04 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

the ones i added were the recommended only so that would be a no. so downloading the one you provided. WELL as long as nothing bad would happen to laptop i could live with this.

Edited by Doomsis, 25 January 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

In the grand scheme of things since it is working I'd just live with it as it is only a few seconds.

Rather than take a chance on breaking it.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users