Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office 2003 Student Teacher

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AliasFan

AliasFan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:47 PM

I have a question regarding microsoft office student teacher 2003.

My roomate bought the program and installed it on her computer. I also installed it on my computer and what I didn't realize at the time was there was a 3 computer limit. The thing is, that my dad also installed it on his computer and my mom's laptop and he's pretty sure that my brother installed it as well, clearly then this is over the three computer limit. So if my roomate tries to install it again, will it continue to install? I'm wondering because if that's the case then I need to perhaps buy her a new program.

Has anyone had any success/failures at installing the program on more than three computers? and does the restriction come in through the product key code on the back of the cd case, or is it through registering after the instalation?

Thanks
Erin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:59 PM

The fact is that you are violating the EULA and the installation of the software above what the license allows is piracy.

If Microsoft picks it up it will most likely be when you get updates, patches, etc.

Licensing and Compatibility
Q. How many activations/installations will be allowed for each license of the Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003?
A. You can install Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 on up to three computers in your home without having to buy extra licenses. Get software for the entire family and save money.

The Microsoft site says you will have to validate the Office software.

"Microsoft Product Activation: Product Activation ensures that only the rightful owner of software purchased in accordance with the accompanying license agreement may use that software. Product Activation can help protect the software assets purchased by a customer from being used by others. A number of Microsoft software products use this technology, including Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office System products and others."

If that's true the software may stop working if you don't activate it after a period of time.

#3 AliasFan

AliasFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:07 PM

If that's true the software may stop working if you don't activate it after a period of time.

doesn't the activation occur instantly when you install it, when you have to enter the product key listed on the back of the cd?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:13 PM

The key may let you install it on your computer, but when Microsoft requires authentification it may pick up that it is on more than the allowed number of computers and require you to go through the activation steps.

That's what they allude to at least.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

doesn't the activation occur instantly when you install it, when you have to enter the product key listed on the back of the cd?

No, that's installation. Activation is an online process (can be by phone). If you haven't activated the product after 50 loads it reverts to a reduced functionality.

You have 50 grace launches before you must activate an Office 2003 Editions product. If you do not activate within 50 launches, the product will go into reduced-functionality mode. At this point, you will not be able to edit documents or create new ones. Existing documents can still be viewed and printed, because the actual files remain unchanged. When a program is in reduced functionality mode, you may still activate it at any time to enable its full functionality.

More details at Office Online

I'd suggest your roommate is OK because she will probably already have activated the product. Depending on the timescale involved and how often they use Office your family members will find copies 4, 5 and so-on will not work properly.

MS Office Student and Teacher is pretty good value imo, particularly since you can install it on three PC's, but there are alternatives:
Check out Open Office or See the BC compendium of Recommended Freeware for other free apps.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users