Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD Passport and Hard Drive in Old Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 grg.clny

grg.clny

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

I am looking for some advice and help with my hard drive dilemma. I have computer that was new in 2005.
Dell XPS 400 with Windows XP Media Center Edition. The PC would not boot up and when I got that fixed the sound card
quit working. I have a post under Windows XP and Professional called "PC Not Booting Up." I gave up on the sound card after reinstalling the sound card software.

I am trying to decide on what to do next. The hard drive in this computer has a lot of music and pictures that I want regualar access to. I have everything backed up on WD Passport that I bought in 2007.

The working computer has Windows XP Home Edition Ver. 2002 Service Pack 3. The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10. The old hard drive is a DiamondMax 10 Maxtor 6L16OMO. I want things to be as easy to access as possible.
Once I move the hard drive to the newer computer I am wonder how things will work. When I open iTunes will I see all the music files or will have to select files from the old hard drive?

I would also like to use my WD Passport. I have never liked the way it worked. I have not used it in a long time and I can't remember how to get to my files. I remember syncing up files from my old computer but it was never easy to access them again. I have the WD plugged into my new computer and I can click on it to view what it is on it but the only thing I recognize is how to re-sync my files. It always wants me to install some software again and again in order for it to work. I would like to be able to click on the WD hard drive and get to my files. I still have my password but I don't care about having this password protected. When I bought it, it came with no real instructions.

If any more information is needed let me know. Thank for any help or advice you may have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

When I open iTunes will I see all the music files or will have to select files from the old hard drive?

iTunes for Windows: Moving your iTunes Media folder
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1364

Summary

Learn how to move your iTunes Media folder to a different location on your Windows PC.
Products Affected

iTunes 9 for Windows, iTunes 8 for Windows, iTunes 7 for Windows, iTunes 10 for Windows, Windows, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7

Edited by rotor123, 09 January 2012 - 01:30 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users