Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building first system

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 henry07

henry07

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hello!

I'm currently in the planning stage of building my first computer and have a few questions. The PC will be used for all the usual things including moderate gaming. I'm looking for a build that's great now and can be upgraded in the future. The limit for my budget is around $1500.

First off, Specs:

Tower: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1) here

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom found here

Motherboard: Boxed Intel Desktop Board Media Series Micro-ATX Form Factor for Second Generation Intel Core Family Processors BOXDH67BLB3 found here

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Processor found here

Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S Copper Base Aluminum Fins 5 Heatpipes CPU Cooler - (RR-CCH-PBU1-GP) found here

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B found here

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 PCIE Video Card (100315L) found here

Hard Drive: Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2 found here
I will also use a 750g external drive that I have. I may buy an internal spinning hard drive once their prices are back to normal.

Sound: Creative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card found here

I will also be using Windows 7 and an HD monitor which together add 250 to the cost. I'll deal with mouse, keyboard, sound etc. separately.

Questions:

Tower: Will this tower house all of my hardware? I'm pretty sure it will, but will I need to get any separate parts so everything fits in a correct bay?

PSU: Is it enough power for my setup and could it handle if I upgraded graphics or something years down the line?

Motherboard: Is it compatible with all my hardware (specifically the SSD and GPU)? Will this more modest motherboard choice hold back my other components in any way? This board has an onboard graphics card. Will I be able to easily set my system to only utilize the radeon or will I have to deal with using both at the same time? Decent support for overclocking in the future?

Cooler: Does it fit my cpu? It doesnt exactly but will it still work?

GPU: I love this card for the price. Will I possibly be able to supplement it with another card years down the line?

SSD: Fit with my motherboard? Fit in the Tower? First SSD so general advice would be appreciated as well!

Sound: Fit with my board? Decent product?

Again, since its my first time any general tips or links to good guides would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the wall of text (tried to make it look pretty :P) but thanks for any responses!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:02 PM

Case looks fine its a good case, so is the PSU should provide more then enough power to handle it. Overall a decent build, Though the motherboard I question. It is a intel board, which isn't to bad, except that its a micro-Atx form factor, which I would advise against, first since its smaller they tend to run hotter which can shorten the lifespan of your computer, and second they leave little room for upgrade. That case is a mid-atx case, which means it will fit a full size motherboard such as this Yes, its $40 higher, but I think in the end it would be more then worth it. If its a bit out of your price range, you can forgo the cooler you selected and use the stock cooler for awhile until you can afford an aftermarket cooler-it wont hurt anything, that will make up that 40 bucks right there, or perhaps use a cheaper power supply, such as this It won't leave you quite as much room for future upgrades (like crossfiring) but it is still a good, high quality unit that will last for a long time. The one advise I usually tell people when building a system-don't skimp on the motherboard or the PSU-go good, high quality all the way, if you need to cut corners, cut corners elsewhere, like say that CPU cooler, those are easy to upgrade in the future. A motherboard can limit the life of your system in that it limits what you can upgrade-and can be an expensive and difficult part to replace, and a PSU failure could fry other components of your system.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 henry07

henry07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the advice! I was questioning the motherboard as well for the same reasons. I was actually originally thinking the GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard like you advised (still fits in my price range), but was hesitant to buy it with the known "Boot Loop" problem. Is there a comparable motherboard the the Gigabyte that doesn't have this problem?

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

ASUS Motherboard - A little more in price but has free shipping (where as the others in this price range,$120-$140, do not).

Comparison of the Boards in this price range at newegg.com

According to Newegg the Saphire 6850 you listed supports CrossfireX

700W should be plenty for the near future. Current trend tend to be dropping the power consumption for newer cards, which is a good thing.

SSD's will mount in that case and all the motherboards listed support SATAIII

I have no idea if that cooler will work or not as it doesn't list LGA1155 as being compatible.

Soundcard, doubt you'll notice a big difference over onboard sound, I haven't the last few times I've used one. Granted I dont have a big HD surround sound anymore either.

Posted Image

#5 henry07

henry07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

This may be a dumb question, but on that comparison chart it only mentions that two of the boards support turboboost 2.0 and some other stuff. Do the others not support that? Or is it just not written in for them?

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for the advice! I was questioning the motherboard as well for the same reasons. I was actually originally thinking the GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard like you advised (still fits in my price range), but was hesitant to buy it with the known "Boot Loop" problem. Is there a comparable motherboard the the Gigabyte that doesn't have this problem?

I wouldnt be to worried about said issue-while it is a known problem with that board, its not likely to be a prominant one. The vast majority of people who purchase electronics online that work dont leave reviews-howevever, the percentage of people who get defective boards are far more likely to leave a review becase their mad that it doesnt work (if that doesnt make sense) nearly all manufacturers have a 3-5% failure rate, thats why they invented the warranty. I would suspect that the percentage of boards with that problem are very rare.

If your still worried about it, that board blackspyder listed is just as good of a board-very solid well performaing board from a reputable manufacturer. and for the chart, chances are if its not listed in the details or on the motherboard manufacturers list, its not supported. Newegg may not list all the details though on their list-always go to the motherboard manufacturers site for a complete list of specifications, newegg has a link to them under the details section.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 henry07

henry07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:12 PM

for the chart, chances are if its not listed in the details or on the motherboard manufacturers list, its not supported. Newegg may not list all the details though on their list-always go to the motherboard manufacturers site for a complete list of specifications, newegg has a link to them under the details section.

Is it a bad thing if the motherboard doesn't support the technologies like turboboost or being specific for the k-series of processors? I don't want my processor to be running below its capacity because the board isn't right. Or can I just make up for it by overclocking or other aspects that the board supports?

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

Now, Im not to up to date with intel-not as much as I should be, but I know my AMD board has turbo boost, and how it works is it basically auto overclocks my CPU with the flip of a switch. Now, its not a required feature-my CPU will run just fine at stock speeds without touching it (and I can even still manually overclock it without using it, and often get a higher result) but since I don't believe in overclocking, I never use it, its not a required feature. If Intels boards work the same way, I would say that again, its not a required feature unless you plan on overclocking. If you want to use turbo boost, then yes you would need a board that supports it-if you just plan on running it on stock speeds, then no you don't. Though, Im assuming that since your using the 2600k instead of the regular 2600 that your planning on overclocking, so it maybe an important feature for you. As far as CPU support, I would go to the the manufacturers web page of the particular board your looking at, and look up the CPU support list and make sure your specific CPU is supported, and if so if a BIOS update is required or not. In most cases, especially with modern boards it won't be but it doesn't hurt to double check.

picard5.jpg

#9 henry07

henry07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:42 AM

New build idea (changes in bold):

Tower: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1) here $61

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom found here $90

Motherboard: ASUS LGA 1155 - Z68 - SATA 6Gb/s and USB 3.0 - ATX Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2200 Intel ? LGA 1155 Motherboards (P8Z68-V LE) here $132

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Processor found here $295

Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S Copper Base Aluminum Fins 5 Heatpipes CPU Cooler - (RR-CCH-PBU1-GP) found here $40

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B found here $86

GPU: Radeon HD 6870 here $165

Hard Drive: Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2 found here $195

DVD: Asus DVD RW drive $20

Windows 7: $100

Display w/speakers: $150

Mouse/Keyboard: $30

Total of... $1364! My target price :)

Final questions:

Motherboard: Would this support 2 GPU's? It can do crossfire but does it have the PCI connections to do it anyways? Not super important just a thought for the future

Sound Card: Does the motherboard i've gone with have an integrated sound card or do I have to find a dedicated one to have audio? I'm thinking of holding off on a sound card unless I ever decide to put nice speakers to the computer(not real big on audio quality except for music but have an ipod dock for that anyways).

Edited by henry07, 09 January 2012 - 02:55 AM.

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:40 AM

Yes, this motherboard is able to support Crossfire. Nowadays all motherboards should have onboard sound. It's not necessary to have a dedicated sound card for gaming but for music production then you would get one.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#11 henry07

henry07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:46 AM

Yes, this motherboard is able to support Crossfire. Nowadays all motherboards should have onboard sound. It's not necessary to have a dedicated sound card for gaming but for music production then you would get one.

I know it supports Crossfire, but i'm asking if it has the neccesary PCI connections to install 2 gpu's.

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:32 AM

There are 2 PCI-E X16 slot for the graphics card.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

I know it supports Crossfire, but i'm asking if it has the neccesary PCI connections to install 2 gpu's.

Thats kind of a given-with the exception of hybrid crossfire, you need two ATI graphics cards to run crossfire, and they have to be of the same sub series. In otherwords, the first two numbers have to match-for example a 6870 will crossfire with a 6870 and a 6850, but will not crossfire with a 6770. The exception to the rule is some micro ATX boards have whats known as hybrid crossfire-which allows the onboard integrated graphics card to be linked with a dedicated graphics card from the previous series, for example a board with a integrated 4200 video card will crossfire with any ATI 3xxx dedicated card, but not with any 4xxx series card or newer.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users