Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sfc scannow cannot fix

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

My laptop is in a homegroup with my desktop to do printer sharing and also remote desktop. Not sure when it started but both systems are booting very slow. So I ran the sfc /scannow. The CBS.log shows the errors that couldn't be fixed. Is there anyone that can help me fix the errors?

Because I did an anytime upgrade doing a clean install is going to be a real pain and I am hoping with the log that I can attempt a fix rather than doing a clean install or system repair which both will require hours of doing. Seems if I understand the log that one problem is a printer issue, maybe?

I don't want to post the log here and am not sure which forum I should seek help on.

Both my systems are running Win 7 64 bit, Norton IS 2012, Malwarebytes, and I use CCleaner on a regular bases. Everything tells me I am free of any problems like viruses, malware, spyware and the like.

What should I do?

Thanks for any help that can be offered. Since my last time on this site, I have been running both my systems worry free till this issue. And that's been quite a while, like a good year or more!!

TryN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

The CBS.log shows the errors that couldn't be fixed. Is there anyone that can help me fix the errors?

May be possible if the errors were expounded upon (listed or posted)? :blink:
Without which only the "stab and jab" technique can be employed (which can lead to further issues).
I would recommend that a system/disk image be created before getting in the deep water.

Thanks,
Jobewankanobe :lol:

Edit: Look to my avatar for an example of "Stab and Jab" technique (just perfected).

Edited by bludgard, 09 January 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#3 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

This is the error:

[l:20{10}]"tcpmon.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Printing-StandardPortMonitor-TCPMonINI, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2012-01-08 13:09:08, Info CSI 000008f4 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"tcpmon.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Printing-StandardPortMonitor-TCPMonINI, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2012-01-08 13:09:08, Info CSI 000008f5 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:202{101}]"Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.WindowsFoundationDelivery"
2012-01-08 13:09:08, Info CSI 000008f8 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:20{10}]"tcpmon.ini"; source file in store is also corrupted

From what I've read, I need to use the Window disc to do a repair, unfortunately when you do an Anytime Upgrade, there is no disc. So the product key for the upgrade is not recognized with the OEM Home Premium disc. My last system image also has the problem, darn! So I guess what I need to do is start from scratch and reload everything. The computer works okay, it's just a really slow boot, takes forever. But once running everything runs fine.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

Hi.
As there doesn't seem to be any issues (user statement) with the machine beside a slow boot, could this be an issue with a deluge of programs starting with Windows boot process?
Is there a printer in use? If so, does it function properly?

#5 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

I have minimal programs at boot on both machines. And yes, printer works fine whether on desktop which is what it's cabled to and from my laptop via printer sharing.

The only thing I notice is that when I print something from the laptop it always double the number of pages in the print queue, but prints the correct number of pages.

Wonder if I should go back to the printer sharing and see if there is an issue there as to why it is doubling consistently the number of pages, yet only prints the correct amount of pages?

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

Wonder if I should go back to the printer sharing and see if there is an issue there as to why it is doubling consistently the number of pages, yet only prints the correct amount of pages?

I was just thinking that maybe one copy is meant to go to the other networked machine.?
Can what is printing from the laptop be seen on the desktop? :tvhorror:

Edt~2: Also, does the slow boot happen when one machine is not connected to the network?
I'll check the errors again. :snorkle:

Edited by bludgard, 09 January 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#7 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

AH HA. No, the slow booting only happens when both machines are on! I'm beginning to suspect this whole thing is a print driver issue along with the Homegroup and Network functions.

Think before I redo the whole laptop I will check to see if I have the latest print drivers loaded for my printer and that they are network drivers.

I can see in the print queue from the desktop what I have sent to the printer via the laptop.

I'll let you know what happens after I do some searching for the drivers and determine if they are the latest and greatest.

As I said, everything works fine. It just bugs me about the inordinate amount of time to boot the laptop now. It use to be fast, now when it gets to that blank screen, it stalls there for quite a bit until finally my desktop appears.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users