Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello From The Old Corps Gunny

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oldcorpsgunny

oldcorpsgunny

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:07 PM

:thumbsup: I posted a greeting when I first came across this site, but I guess it didn't get posted. Anyway, I'll try again.

I am just getting back into computers after a 20 year hiatus; the last computer I had was a Commodore 64 (yeah, the Dark Ages) and some experience on an IBM 350 mainframe. Obviously, none of that experience applies on the new operating systems, so I consider myself pretty much a novice who is trying to (a) get back into the ing of things and (:flowers: just have fun with the computer.

I use two computers: (1) a Gateway desktop with an Intel Pentium 3 at 2.4 MHz, WinXP Home, DVD/R and CD/RW drives; 80GB hard drive and (2) a Gateway laptop I just bought with AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology 1.8GHz WinXP Media Center, DVD/RW, 80GB hard drive, 1GB RAM and the usual junk (particularly AOL) installed. It also has McAfee Security Center for AV and firewall protection; I haven't had any issues with McAfee and since it rated as #2 in PC World, I'm thinking of keeping it after the trial period expires.

My wife bought a Dell laptop Inspiron 6000 about 4 weeks ago, so I just installed a Belkin router in the office to set up a home network. I guess I got it right because we are able to access the Internet from the living room; later I will try to figure out how to acess the printer from the laptops (or maybe transfer files from the laptops to the desktop and then print the files from there).

My main interests with the computers are flight sims, photo editing (Adobe Photoshop Elements), web browsing, reading TechSpot and Bleeping Computer trying to learn something about the new systems.

I have had the opportunity to make use of the forums here already and am gratified to see the gracious and helpful attitudes of the members. I just wish all the sites were as nice and willing to help out new comers; it's also refreshing to get on a site without "flamers".

I want to thank all of you who responded ty my queries for advice, it got the problems fixed. I expect to be needing your expertise many times in the future during my learning process and I hope to be able to help other newcomers when I know enough to answer questions they might have.

Semper Fi -- The Old Corps Gunny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

Warmest greetings and happiest salutation, Gunny ol' boy! :thumbsup: :flowers: :inlove: :trumpet:

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

Welcome to this great user community, with the finest group of people to be found on the Net.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:42 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! oldcorpsgunny.

Good Luck,
yano :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic