Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with screen

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 williamvincent

williamvincent

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hi i have a sony vaio VGM-AR51M laptop
it has a 19" screen and this week the screen has started to falter.
1 it started flickering lines across the screen then the screen started changing colour
it looked like someone had placed a blue colour across the screen the icons we there but unclear.

2. now it is opaque (whiteish) like you are viewing the screen through a mist, i can see the icons but they are not clear, everything else is working fine just the screen
any help and advice would be appreciated please thanks guys

is this an expensive problem to fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

Try uninstalling your video drivers, via Device Manager...then rebooting.

Louis

#3 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

hi louis
unistalled through device manager as suggested and rebooted
mist has cleared but the screen icons are all bleary and out of focus

thank you

Edited by williamvincent, 08 January 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Scroll down list to Display Adapters...double-click it...go to Driver tab, click Uninstall.

Reboot.

If you have Drivers CD which came with system, use that to reinstall the Video drivers.

If not, try following the bouncing ball at http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-find.pl?mdl=vaio vgn ar51m &PRODTYPE=32,33,63,71,7,102,26,80,72,44,55,27,74,84,57,61,108,109,103,89,10,113,35,78,48,77,106,29,50,39,64,114,12,41,58,52,81,60,45,66,73,101,76,86,62,54,67,70,68,2,17,1,88,100,82,110,25,28,83,59,69,112,49,24,104,53,79,22,42,46,13,105,6,85,3,36,9,51,111,47,38,4,34,37,43,5 .

Louis

#5 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

hi louis
uninstalled graphics driver and reinstalled
done this 2 or 3 times without sucsess
the screen has gone back so it is like looking through mist at the screen and now the colour is changing from white
to a cyan

i reinstalled driver from C: drivers. i have had to go into the display settings and the resolution to 1024 by 768 pixels just so i can make out what is on screen
any help is much appreciated

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

Just to add to what Louis said.......

Do you have a external monitor you can plug in as a test to see if it is a screen issue or if the video going to the screen is the problem?

Thanks
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

hi rodger
i have hooked it up to my tv and the screen on the tv is fine
it seems to be the monitor on my laptop
any help appreciated

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Just to confirm, When you hooked it up did you use the VGA connection or the HDMI port. There is a possibility that they are different graphics. If you read below you will see why I asked how it was hooked to the TV set. I use VGA to my TV rather than HDMI, however I could use either. In the first quote it works fine with teh TV and poorly on its screen.

If you go into the Device manager what shows for video adapter?

For XP right click on my computer and pick properties then hardware then device manager
For Vista / Windows 7 right click on Computer and on the left choose device manager.

BTW when I look that laptop up is shows a 17.1" screen and 19"
Are you by chance in the UK?

When I do some looking I see this sort of thing
From: http://www.nvidiadefect.com/sony-viao-vgnar51m-screen-problems-t856.html

which has now developed a screen fault that I can only describe as similar to a television with very poor reception or a bad ariel.

You can see some stuff on the screen but obviously you couldn't work on it or use it for long periods I have however connected the laptop via it's HDMI port to a Panasonic plasma TV and the laptop works perfectly connected to the TV.

Further on

to the lounge it worked perfectly for about two minutes after it re-booted itself on opening but it's since gone back to the dodgy display thing and I can't get it to display properly now except when it's hooked up to the TV.

If in the UK this may be relevant: http://www.nvidiadefect.com/post13.html#p13

Step By Step Guide To Securing A Replacement Laptop Or A Refund

My Google search phrase. VGN-AR51M screen problem
http://www.google.com/search?q=VGN-AR51M+screen+problem&hl=en&gbv=1&prmd=imvns&ei=Kh0LT8PPDsHo0QH2t6yPAg&start=10&sa=N

It does appear as I was afraid it might that the problem is not the screen but rather the built-in graphics on the motherboard.

I can't really blame Sony for this one as it has cause problems for Dell, HP, Compaq and others.

Due to the nature of the defect you may be able to get resolution from Sony. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Good Luck.

Edited by rotor123, 09 January 2012 - 12:13 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

Hi rotor 123
rechecked connecting to the tv via HDMI the view from the tv is clear and clean as it should be.
Thank you so much for your research and for finding what the problem is with the laptop.
i would say i have the same problem as the others using the laptop screen is exactly like viewing a bad tv channel.

had laptop 4 years no proof of purchase due to moving house in that time gutted.
I am in spain not the uk. i have a spanish laptop but got vista converted into english for me.

any idea roughly how much to change the card? is it worth it as this cost a pretty penny and i am loath to just throw it away.
device manager shows nvidia Geforce 8400M GT
thank you for all your help
regards
bill

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

I can not really tell if it is a add on card or built into the motherboard. I don't have a good source for Sony service manuals unfortunately.

Since searching ebay for a video card was unsuccessful. I'd suggest calling Sony parts and see what they say.

Wish I could be more help

Cheers

Edited by rotor123, 09 January 2012 - 03:58 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#11 Sonylistens

Sonylistens

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Hey WilliamVincent,

My name is Mike Puma I work with the Sonylistens team, I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your Sony vaio, please call Sony's esupport priority service line: 239-768-7669 for assistance with resolving this issue.

Thanks,

Mike Puma

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/support-contacts.pl

Louis

#13 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi guys
thank you for the telephone numbers i will contact sony asap

have a bigger problem now
today i took all the screws out of the back of the laptop, looked at taking the back off decided against it
and put the screws back in. Now it wont boot up all i get is cannot find operating system
any advice please????

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hopefully it is just a loose hard drive.

When you started to disassemble it I hope you pulled the battery & AC and then hard drive and then the optical drive before going further.
The order I just gave are generic but usually accurate.

The problem could be a simple as a loose hard drive connection. Is there a cover on the bottom over the hard drive?
If so being very careful try reseating the hard drive. Be careful not to press on the label side of the drive or the opposite side.

Laptops are very delicate, especially the connectors for Keyboard, touchpad, speakers etc.

167 @ June 2015

#15 williamvincent

williamvincent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:50 AM

hi rotor 123
i unplugged ac removed battery removed screws looked at taking the laptop cover off
decided against it as i was not that confident and put all the screws back in place.

I did not touch anything else but what you say may be right a loose HDD connector (fingers crossed.)
off to the repairers tomorrow.
thank you for your help and advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users