Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Peculiar Thing...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Depthcharge

Depthcharge

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

I recently booted my computer to discover that my mouse pointer has split in two. There are two arrows side by side. Also, when surfing the web and looking at text, it seems as if not all of the text is being displayed. It is as if not all pixels are displayed almost as if it has not finished loading. I do not believe it to be a hardware issue as it is not ALWAYS this way. If i float over the incomplete text, it appears correct. I've tried restarts, full MSE and Malware scans. All negative. My software is up-to-date. What could be causing this? It is very annoying!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

I would...

a. Uninstall the mouse, reboot and allow the drivers to install again.

b. Try a different mouse.

Louis

#3 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

I am not sure how to uninstall the mouse software. It is a built-in pad on a notebook computer the software is Elantech. I have disabled it and plugged in a USB external mouse, but the problem persists.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

From Start menu, Control Panel/Mouse.

When mouse properties opens Pointer tab.

See what the pointer is set to. If needed, change it, click Apply.

Does the pointer appear broken in two immediately or is it only when you move it?

#5 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

I have also tried altering Pointer Options, to no avail. The pointer splits in two immediately after booting. Occasionally there is a finger or cursor depending on where it is pointed, but there is always one arrow. That is really less of a problem than the patchwork text, but i can only surmise the two problems are related as they both happened at the same time.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

Have you tried a system restore to a point just before the issue began?

#7 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

I have not. I will now. Thank you.

#8 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

I tried a System Restore. Oddly, there were none before January which is strange. I had thought it fixed as my pointer was back to normal throughout the Restore, but after the reboot it was back to abnormal.

Edited by Depthcharge, 08 January 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Unless you have the hardware mouse pointer option selected, the mouse pointer is provided by the video driver. Considering you also seem to have a display glitch with text, I suggest try re-installing the appropriate video drivers for your notebook.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

I found the website for the drivers for my machine as it has no disc drive. I installed the VGA driver, but no change. Is there anything else I can try?

Edited by Depthcharge, 08 January 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

This is an off-the-wall shot in the dark.

Does your computer have any other user accounts set up? If you do, log on to another account desktop. See if the same thing happens with it.

If you don't have another account set up, create one for test purposes. (I have an account called Test, which comes in handy at times)

Mouse pointers are SPECIFIC to each desktop. If all-pointer and text-is normal for another user, that could indicate something is screwy (although I have no clue what it could be) with YOUR user account. In that case, you could either keep trying to figure out what's going on OR create a new user account for yourself, move all your files and folders to the new account (including backing up email and address book if you use an email client AND your Favorites), wait a couple of days to make sure you have everything moved, then delete the old account.

If the same thing occurs with another account you can keep looking at it being something system-wide.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 January 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#12 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

@ Queen Evie - I did as you suggested with the User Accounts and sure enough that fixed the problem. You are a genius. I'm not sure how to transfer all of my bookmarks and whatnot over to the new user account, but I think I can probably figure it out. My problemis that I called Asus tech-support, the manufacturer, and they suggested a virus as the only possible explanation. Is it possible I am infected?

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

On your old desktop open up My Computer, click Drive C.

Next click Documents and Settings, then the old account name.

It's been a while since I have used XP, but I think that is where you will find your favorites. Open the folder, hold down CTRL and A keys at the same time to highlight them all. RIGHT click, and either copy or move. You will be able to specify where to send them to.

Repeat the process for your Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.

As for infection, it is a possibility. I am not a malware removal expert so I cannot say for sure. I can only give my opinion which is an infection would probably affect all users the same way. What I can do is ask a malware removal expert to answer your question.

Now I need to go back to my Test account and change the pointer back to an arrow. It looks strange as a pen.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 January 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#14 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

Bizarrely, after logging out of my Test account, the problem seems to have gone away and everything appears back to normal.

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

That is odd. Whatever works. I hope it doesn't go screwy on you again. Since it is working, I'll hold off on having someone weigh in on the possibility of infection, unless you want me to still do that.

Post back if things change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users