Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot do anything on the computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nevan78

Nevan78

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hi, I have a netbook with a Windows XP Home Version 2002 SP3

Recently I've had a virus that I thought I wiped out but the the next day, nothing seems to be working, I am still able to go to safe mode & regular mode but there is no system restore, no internet connectivity (wifi), no drag & drop, start menu and taskbar are gone, only a thin gray bar on the bottom of the screen that cannot be restored for any reason at all. I only use Malwarebytes as I've had no problems using it for the longest time until now and it doesn't even run now & as well as other programs. USB Flash drives are still usable but cannot copy & paste. In the past however I was able to rid of a virus of a similar nature by repair installation of the O/S and then running Malwarebytes to rid of the virus but that was only because I had a CD. I tried to do the same thing to this particular netbook that I have but since netbooks don't have CD-ROM drives and I don't have the CD of winxp anymore, I decided to run the infamous winnt32.exe file inside the i386 folder and do a repair installation and unfortunately it didn't work this time around, it hangs on the blue screen that says "setting up kernel debugger" or something similar to that, normally I would assume that it would be a memory problem but I swapped it with 3 other RAMs but to no avail. This notebook also has a recovery console but I am not quite familiar with it. I have read about this virus before that somehow alters the registry or worse case scenario actually corrupts the explorer.exe and/or winlogon.exe files but I don't think this would be the case with my particular netbook since I can still go to safe mode & regular mode but I cannot do anything else other than that.

I apologize in advance if my post is too long, I just want to be detailed as much as possible. I've pretty much exhausted all my options at this point and formatting would be my last resort. I do not have any means of installing diagnostic softwares to even run logs. I don't have internet access at home either & I just go to a local starbucks to use wifi but that doesn't matter either at this point since the netbook can't even connect in wired or wireless. If I am to download something it would be only if I'm at work.

NOTE: Some programs can still run but the Malwarebytes doesn't seem to be operational and renaming the file doesn't make the program run either.

I humbly request assistance regarding this situation and I would try my best to give further information if necessary. Thanks in advance

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2012 - 12:50 PM.
Moved to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

A Malware Expert will help you if you post on the Am I Infected section of BC.

Mod Edit: I moved to AII. In the future, when you see a post that is obviously misplaced (such as this one), simply use the Report button to bring it to the attention of BC Staf, thanks ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2012 - 12:52 PM.

Tekken

#3 Nevan78

Nevan78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

Thank you, I apologize, I will read the guidelines again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users