Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup repair can not fix my laptop.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Deb8bie

Deb8bie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

My laptop has Windows 7 installed.
My Toshiba Satellite L650 started slowing down and freezing every hour or so while for a few weeks which progressively got more often. I thought it was the new modem/router the cable company installed and maybe got a bad virus. I purchased Norton 2012 and after talking w/Toshiba support did a system restore by holding down the "0" button. This seemed to work but not for long, a week later the same issues were occurring. I did another system restore and it worked for a couple of days. Chkdsk did find bad clusters. Now start up repair keeps trying to fix it when I turn it on but it can't.

I have ordered a new hard drive from Tiger Direct a few days ago, it is on back order, not sure when I'll get it.
I'm afraid to use the start up repair disk that I made on the new hard drive when it does come.

My questions are: is there any other way I should be going about fixing this 14 month old laptop?
Also, I don't have the original software disks, they didn't come with the computer so I either have to order a copy from Toshiba or should I use that repair disk? Can software cause an issue like this?

Thank you for your help and time.

Edited by Deb8bie, 08 January 2012 - 09:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

That laptop doesn't come with recovery disks.

You are supposed to create them using the Toshiba software that is supplied as part of the software that came with the computer.

You'll need at least 4 or more DVD blanks, Use a good brand. Hopefully you can still create them. They are what you need for a new drive.

The startup repair disc is useless on a new drive that has no windows on it. Its purpose is to help fix startup problems in an existing windows.

If you can't make the recovery disc set, and your drive is bad you will need to order from Toshiba or find a friend that has the same model and have them create the discs for you. Or sometimes you can clone a failing drive to the new one and have it work.

You could also see if the drive you want is in stock at Newegg? Or go SSD drive (Changing to a SSD drive really sped up my 2.5 year old Toshiba) .

By Good Brand DVD Disc I mean a brand like Taiyo-Yuden or Verbatim (Not the life series junk sold in stores.) OR moving down the ladder maybe Sony or if you can find any Made in Japan. If you can't get the others usually the Sony are OK.

Have you confirmed that the hard drive is bad?
Are you still under Warranty?
Verify in or out of warranty here. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/globalEntitlement.jsp
Do you have a sales receipt showing less than a year ago?

This page would be your main support page, Note that you do not have to have an account. I believe the login is for
"Sign up for a Support.Toshiba.com account:

Gain access to participate in our forums.
Receive product updates on your specific Toshiba model."

https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/pubLogin.jsp

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 January 2012 - 09:50 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Deb8bie

Deb8bie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hello Roger, Thank you for replying so quickly.
I was able to make the back-up disks you mentioned. I am pretty excited about it. I hope I don't have any viruses on there. Is that possible?

I'm not sure it is my hard drive but my laptop is not in warranty any longer. I double checked utilizing the link you provided for me, thank you. It will cost me to get support so I decided to put that money towards a new hard drive. I hope it's an okay one. I did a lot of searching before I purchased it but never heard of a ssd drive. I'm a student and have limited funds so I went with a less expensive hd,the Hitachi 500GB Mobile Sata.

I had previously signed up for the Toshiba support site but decided to try to get help here instead. I am going back there when I am done with this post. Since my last post I had to do a third system restore to factory settings. It's working slower than ever, I can't even wait for it to start a program, it takes so long.(approx 10-15 minutes for every click of any task)

Thank you again :)

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools Links to Manufacturers Utilities
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

This one will most likely test your drive if you are not sure what brand you have.
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatooldreg&vgnextoid=480bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

A SSD is a solid state drive, they are much faster and you could pend $300 for a 160Gb Intel SSD for example.

For future knowledge, Always test before spending money.

Have you run a virus scan? Always a good thing. I run a Antivirus and it runs scans if I let the computer sit for as little while.

Edited by rotor123, 10 January 2012 - 11:08 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Deb8bie

Deb8bie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

Thank you for the information and all your help. I'm so glad I joined this site.

On the Toshiba forum site that you suggested the answer to my post as I "probably" need a new hard drive.
~I sure hope the one I ordered works okay. I keep almost all my files on a Seagate external hard drive
and usb flash drives so I did not lose any documents or photos.
Also, I think it seems to keep my laptop running a little faster.(?)

Yes, I got Norton 2012 because it had good reviews in PC Magazine. But I believe the laptop already had a
virus so the damage may have been too severe to repair. I have been trying to start up my laptop to try the
test links you sent above but can not get passed the start up repair.
Windows can not start not even in safe mode or using the repair disk.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

You don't need your laptop to boot. Just use the link below and download the DOS ISO and burn it following the directions there and boot the laptop from it. F12 for the Boot device menu and choose the optical drive.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatooldreg&vgnextoid=480bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Procedure

In order to use the newest SeaTools for DOS, download the bootable CD image version to your desktop.

Burn the .ISO file to a CD. View Knowledge Base article 201431 for instructions on how to do this.

Once the bootable media has been created, boot the computer with the media in the drive. If it doesn't boot from the media, the boot order may need to be adjusted in the computer BIOS. See Knowledge Base article 184971 or the user guide for your computer for information on changing boot sequence.

Edited by rotor123, 11 January 2012 - 11:04 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 Deb8bie

Deb8bie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thank you,
I ran the SeaTools on my laptop and my hard drive "failed".
It will not start at all anymore and am hoping to get a new hard drive
delivered tomorrow. Also, I have ordered a new set of recovery disks from Toshiba for $29.00
because I'm afraid of transferring any virus to the new hard drive from the bad one with the
recovery disks I made from my laptop a few days ago.
I so hope to be back up and running in about a week. Next new task for me will
be installing the new hard drive, my first time. I will be utilizing BleepingComputer.com
for tips and tactics. :) ~Deb8bie

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

On your Toshiba you will most likely see a cover on the bottom a little bit larger than the hard drive held on with one or more likely two screws. Usually at the front of the L/T. The hard drive will under that. There will probably be a carrier that the drive mounts to that can be has screws securing the drive in the computer and screws holding the drive to the carrier.

If you provide the full model number I can most likely be more specific.

Be sure not to press on the top (label side) or the bottom of the drive. Always hold by the sides.

I would also put down a towel to protect the surface of the laptop from scratches when you have it upside down.
Pull the battery first and be sure to keep your self grounded against static electricity. A water pipe or radiator or baseboard heat would be a ground. Drives are also sensitive to impact. It couldn't hurt to test the new drive just in case.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 12 January 2012 - 01:09 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#9 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Pull the battery first and be sure to keep your self grounded against static electricity. A water pipe or radiator or baseboard heat would be a ground.

The rest of rotor's advice is good. I disagree with the principle of this portion however. The goal is to equalize your electrical potential with that of the machine. Touching a water pipe won't necessarily do that. Laptops can build up charge of their own depending on how they are used and the construction of their adapters, and a discharge from the laptop to you can happen. Of course, it won't likely be as powerful, but when 200V can do major damage, avoiding it is prudent.

Find a metal part of the laptop's chassis to touch. Oftentimes, after you remove the plastic panel you will see some of the laptop's metal chassis supporting the hard drive. Touch it first. If you find nothing suitable, then I would touch the water pipe and take extra care not to touch any circuit boards.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

Pull the battery first and be sure to keep your self grounded against static electricity. A water pipe or radiator or baseboard heat would be a ground.

The rest of rotor's advice is good. I disagree with the principle of this portion however. The goal is to equalize your electrical potential with that of the machine. Touching a water pipe won't necessarily do that. Laptops can build up charge of their own depending on how they are used and the construction of their adapters, and a discharge from the laptop to you can happen. Of course, it won't likely be as powerful, but when 200V can do major damage, avoiding it is prudent.

Find a metal part of the laptop's chassis to touch. Oftentimes, after you remove the plastic panel you will see some of the laptop's metal chassis supporting the hard drive. Touch it first. If you find nothing suitable, then I would touch the water pipe and take extra care not to touch any circuit boards.

You've seen that? The only time I ever saw static build up was on a new case when I slid it out of the box. I am assuming it was the foam against the cardboard but the plastic bag on the case may have contributed too. after getting shocked that way the first time I make sure to grab the metal part of a screwdriver and touch it to the bottom of the case where the plastic is folded over and discharge it that way.

167 @ June 2015

#11 Deb8bie

Deb8bie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

The laptop model is a Toshiba Satellite L650. I just received the new harddrive
and am waiting for the recovery disks from Toshiba which should arrive Monday or Tuesday.
The Toshiba recovery DVDs I made may have a virus so I'm afraid to use them.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about a water pipe. As in under the sink? Will the sink spout suffice?
I don't have any radiators here in FL, only an AC forced air unit which heats also.

Is this correct? Remove the battery, touch a metal part of the laptop then a water pipe
and unscrew the old hard drive, remove and insert the new one, screw it in, replace covers
and batteries? Oh gosh... hope I don't ruin the new hard drive.

#12 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

Is this correct? Remove the battery, touch a metal part of the laptop then a water pipe
and unscrew the old hard drive, remove and insert the new one, screw it in, replace covers
and batteries? Oh gosh... hope I don't ruin the new hard drive.

I had to grin at this. Rotor was simply setting a principle, and I was running with it. However, it would be rather funny-cruel for us to suggest an elaborate ritual for static discharge to an unsuspecting person.

But more to the point, you just have to touch the metal of the chassis and that's it. As you work, it is a good idea to touch the metal from time to time, especially if you are standing on carpet or if the air is dry.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

any part of the cold water or hot water is usually a good ground. The reason for removing the battery & AC adapter is in case you drop a screw into it or slip there is no stray voltage to damage anything.
Use a magnetic screw driver if you can, you really do not want to drop a screw inside or just drop and lose a screw.

Only hold the hard drives by the sides, Never press on the label side or the opposite side of the drive. (Top & Bottom).
Just don't drop it and you will be fine.

believe it or not L650 is only part of the model. usually something like L650-S1234. Or the model part number usually in xxxxxx-xxxxxx where x = a letter or number.

Cheers
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#14 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

You've seen that? The only time I ever saw static build up was on a new case when I slid it out of the box. I am assuming it was the foam against the cardboard but the plastic bag on the case may have contributed too. after getting shocked that way the first time I make sure to grab the metal part of a screwdriver and touch it to the bottom of the case where the plastic is folded over and discharge it that way.

You already know of the technique of holding the power button down for a period of time and plugging in the adapter (or some combination of that) in order to discharge built up static that can prevent a computer from booting. I do not know how much voltage is required to interfere to that extent, but if I've drained myself of excess electrons and the laptop internals can potentially be holding some of their own, I'd rather avoid the possibility of current transfer, especially given that the voltage chips are made to handle for proper operation keeps dropping. Most of our consumer-grade stuff barely need a volt, after all.

~ LL ~

#15 Deb8bie

Deb8bie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

LOL have fun, I like fun.

I don't believe my laptop has any more numbers after L650. I can't find any and am thinking it's
because I made changes/upgrades to a L650 on Toshiba Direct. I looked at my order information
and that is all I can locate there and on the bottom of the unit.

This is exactly what I see:

TOSHIBA
SATELLITE L650 <ES5.0>
MODEL NO. PSK2CU-01000C

Then I see a barcode and a serial number.

I will be replacing the hard drive on a wood table which is on ceramic tile so I hope to have
minimual static electricity and no dust. I will touch the metal as you informed me to do. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users