Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Files on system

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Yepytzme

Yepytzme

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

Hello folk,
I have several files on my system that I have no idea what they are, who they are or why I have them. First of all I do not have an "apple" computer, I don't have an 'apple' phone nor, to my knowledge, do I have anything to do with apple. So why do I have these and several more similar files on my system relating to apple?

com.apple.WindowsContacts.client.resources
com.google.ContactSync.client.resources
com.apple.WindowsContacts
com.apple.WindowsContacts.client.exe

I would like to delete them and free up more space. Would it be advisable or do you have knowledge as to why they are here.

Thanks in advance,
Yepytzme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

hi, where are these file located on you harddrive

,are you sure you haven't installed ITunes on the computer perhaps .go to start/control panel /add and remove programs just to be sure there are no apple programs like itunes installed

Edited by caperjac, 07 January 2012 - 07:44 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Hi caperjac,
Yes, there are 3 Apple programs [see attachment] but like I said I never, again to my knowledge, ever had any use for or needed to use any apple programs and I do nor did ever download itunes. Can I just safely delete these programs?

Thanks for the info,
Yep

Strange, I tried to attach a screenshot of the files but it says the file is too big [?] Don't understand that, it's only 3 meezly lines. Anyway, this is what's in the add/remove section:
Apple application support
Apple mobile device support
Apple software update

#4 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hi Again caperjac,

I have a program called "everything". With this program all I have to do is enter the word "Apple" and it lists everything on my computer that has anything to do with apple. Talk about shock! It shows that I have..hold on to your hat...1,147 files on my system relating to the apple software.
My concern is is there anything that would be affected if I simply deleted [removed/uninstalled] Apple and all its contents from my system including registry?
I am running Windows XP Home Edition, I use Firefox mainly but occasionally use Google Chrome and seldom, if ever, use I.E. Personally I can't see how uninstalling Apple would affect my system, do you?

Thanks again,
Yep

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:33 AM

Use iTunes? iPhone?

Louis

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:37 AM

no it should not hurt anything to uninstall them , if you don't use a ipod you should be ok to uninstall the programs .i have itues for my I-pod mp3 player ,so i have all 3 programs too ,i have uninstalled the apple updater a while back,just uninstall the othere 2 and now itunes will not start ,will fix that later ,

Edited by caperjac, 08 January 2012 - 06:37 AM.

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

A little process I have found to install a "slimmed" down version of iTunes (for iPod):
Download iTunes >
Extract all files from iTunes. Included in latest version is:

AppleApplicationSupport
AppleMobileDeviceSupport
AppleSoftwareUpdate
Bonjour
iTunes
SetupAdmin

Press the Windows key + R to open the Run box. Make sure the box is clear >
Drag and drop AppleApplicationSupport into the Run box, add a space and /passive > press Enter. (Mine looks like this: C:\Users\*Username*\Desktop\iTunes32\iTunes32\AppleApplicationSupport.msi /passive

Do the same with AppleMobileDeviceSupport and iTunes (those with 64 bit systems should install iTunes64).
Opt out to update the software or it will install a bunch of crap. Whatever prompts/messages appear can be exited. The install will run fine on iPod.
Configure the product as you wish.

:thumbup2:

Edited by bludgard, 08 January 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#8 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hi Folk,
Thanks for the info. Sounds good to me since I don't have an iphone nor do I use itunes. I'll just let Revo Uninstaller remove everything and subsequently go into my registry, do a search for 'apple' and remove/delete any and everything to do with that program. As I said before, I'll lastly bring up my 'Everything' program and have it look for 'apple' again. That program seems to have a way of finding hidden stuff that other programs don't.

Thanks again, let you know if there are any problems..or hopefully not.

Yep

#9 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

OK, FOLK,
Everything was uninstalled and like I predicted, my 'everything' program still found about 5 hangers on files that I used the 'absolute file shredder' program to get rid of. But, when I went into my registry it would not allow me to delete any files under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM"..etc called: "Legacy_Apple_Mobile_Device". Even under the [name] in the registry "DeviceDesc" [Type]:"REG_SZ", [Data]:"Apple Mobile Device" would not, could not be deleted. And when I searched for apple in my everything program I got 4 files listed, don't know if they have anything to do with apple but they look suspicious. Being 'audio' drivers, I'm not sure I want to touch them.
They are:
HDAApple.inf (C:\drivers\audio\R158510)...(151KB 'Setup Information')
HDAApple.PNF (C:\drivers\audio\R158510)...(228KB 'Precompiled Setup Information')
HDXApple.inf (C:\drivers\audio\R158510)...(152KB 'Setup Information')
HDXApple.PNF (C:\drivers\audio\R158510)...(230KB 'Precompiled Setup Information')

Anything under your thinking caps that could cast any clues as to whether these are useless, useful, can or shouldn't be deleted...oops, sorry, can't delete them.

Appreciate your input so far, and anticipating a speed resolve,

Thanks,
Yep

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

FWIW: I use Everything and I don't use iTunes or anything made by Apple...and I have no mysterious files belonging to Apple products on my system.

Louis

#11 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

I like the idea of Everything.
Think I'll grab it.
Thanks, family.
:dance:

#12 Rocking Rodney

Rocking Rodney

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

I too use nothing on my computer Apple related and never have as far as I know, but I was curious when I saw this post.
So I looked in add/remove programs and sure enough I have "Apple Application Support" and an "Apple Software update" and have no idea what it is.

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

my thoughts are that someone besides you install a ipod and or itunes without you knowing, personall i would just ignore it and stop using that everthing program to find things ,you last post is just the registry enteries left behind after uninstalling apple stuff ,your going to endup gigging up you windows install

Edited by caperjac, 08 January 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#14 Yepytzme

Yepytzme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:03 PM

So, Caperjack, why did you say "...stop using that everthing program.."?
If you haven't tried it (called Everything) I think maybe you might find it useful. After uninstalling/removing all files relating to 'Apple', the Everything program found quite a few files in my 'program files' and 'documents and settings' etc. It, with its "Explore Path", takes you right to the exact location where the files are and allows you to delete them, if so desired.
Also, the 'ignore it' suggestion isn't practical, if I had ignored it I would constantly keep getting the annoying pop up window stating "Apple update available..download now.." and monotonous blinking in my taskbar. It was a nuisance and hopefully gone for good now.
All that aside, still appreciate your input, thanks.

#15 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

just an opinion ,keep using it and good luck with cleaning your computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users