Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer severely infected and unable to run GMER

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. PH

Mr. PH

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hi,

I have a computer that is severely infected with probably more than 5 viruses or trojans and probably with a rootkit. When I try to do anything on the computer from its built-in Windows 7 OS, the malware kill active tasks, windows and processes and the screen/active window flashes between active process when it starts killing windows/processes or is doing something. Also sometimes it tries to shut down the computer by showing the Shut down/Turn off computer window. Because of this, I am unable to run virus scanners directly from the built-in OS and also from a separate CD drive that is read-only. Also I am sure there is at least one fake virus scanner installed (360?) and another called Thunder networking which is not a "virus scanner", and the malware has infected the system files including the WINDOWS folder and the i386 folder, and possibly even the BIOS.

First I tried to run tools from within the Windows 7 OS: I tried to kill the active malware processes using Rkill, but it did not find/kill any processes. Then I ran the McAfee Stinger but it was terminated by the malware after 30secs-1min of running. I tried to use Hiren's Boot CD (v10.6) to remove the malware by scanning the hard drive as a data disk, but when I run the Mini XP on the Hiren's CD and run scanners like GMER or SuperAntiSpyware or CWShredder, by 5-15 minutes after running the scanner, the malware always kills them, closes all running windows, and tries to shut down the computer by showing the Windows Shutdown/Turn off computer window. And this is with me running Mini XP from Hiren's Boot CD and I am using a CD-R with a read-only disc reader.

When I ran GMER and some other scanners, some error prompts showed up that said some WINDOWS/System/config files and Other system files including the registries were missing or something, so I am very sure that the System files are infected so I cannot run the Boot CD correctly. I think there are 5 partitions on the hard disc (probably some made by the malware) and the one that are used when running the Boot CD's Mini XP are X: and another one. The X: drive's i386 system files are missing or infected and I don't know if they are the ones from the computer or on the Boot CD. I don't know if the Boot CD itself was already infected, but I downloaded the iso from Hiren's website, not from a third-party. I'm sure I burned the image correctly because I used RAW SAO (1:1) and burned at 16 for the first disc I ran (which became infected when I ran the CD in the computer's disc reader which was also a writer). and burned at 10 for the second one, so I'm sure the data isn't corrupt.

So the problem is: I cannot run GMER to get a log because the malware kills it, I cannot run Stinger because it also kills it. I used a Boot CD from a separate disc reader to run them, but the malware still killed them and tried to shut down the computer. I don't know what I should do and what other tools I can use in this situation. I don't know what malware is in the computer, so I think I should probably run a malware identifier scan. But I don't know the best tools to use. Can you guys guide me through the malware removal process? (P.S. I will post the logs here, but I posted this in the problem thread too).

Update: After running Kaspersky Rescue Disc 10, it found nothing. The malware was still attempting to terminate the scanning window/process.

Edited by Mr. PH, 07 January 2012 - 07:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.
If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about the Windows version you are using: What we in particular need to know is version, edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system. [/b]
If you are unsure about any of these caracteristics, just let us know and we'll help you figuring it out. Please also tell us if you have your Windows CD/DVD handy.

Please include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.

Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.
We need to create an OTL Report
  • Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • In the custom scan box paste the following:
    msconfig
    safebootminimal
    activex
    drivers32
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    wininit.exe
    hlp.dat
    /md5stop
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt<--Will be minimized

In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Watch Topic.I suggest you click it and select Immediate E-Mail notification and click on Proceed. This way you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.

After 5 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Mr. PH

Mr. PH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

Thank you for the response. This has been resolved: Unfortunately, I had to wipe the hard disk since my friend was requesting it back. But next time I encounter such a problem, I will follow these steps and post the full logs, descriptions in the first post for faster resolving. Thanks.

Edited by Mr. PH, 15 January 2012 - 01:28 AM.

#4 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for letting us know. I'll go ahead and close the topic then, since this is resolved.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users